Painting With Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting With Light

The last light of a sunny day picks up the form and details of any car to best effect.

The exceptions in this set are 2 and 3.

In 2, I shot against the light during the afternoon, using a Cokin Graduated Tobacco filter.

In 3, There were too many people around in the BMW tent before the 2006 Mille Miglia for a clear shot of the car. So I attached my flash gun and under-exposed by 1.7 stops to get this stark detail shot, sans tent and people!
    Attached Files

Re: Painting With Light

Those are some terrific shots.

Tom

Comment

Liking all of these, great work.

Doug.
      Cameras... 7D, 350D
      Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
      Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Who are you??? Every set of images I see from you look like a press release! I love them, and am incredibly green with envy! Great images, thanks for sharing them,

Garry
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hi Garry,

I originally trained as an architect, but my passion for cars led me to change profession to automotive photo-journalist 30 years ago. I have four books in print, and my words and pictures appear in car mags across the globe from the US to Japan. I love what I do, and would like to think that this shows in my work.

By the way, most press release pics are Photoshopped to hell. I don't even own the programme! Shooting slides since I was in my teens has led to me treating digital as a cross between a Polaroid and the real thing!
            Last edited by Greatestape; 17-06-2013, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatestape View Post
              Hi Garry,..... I love what I do, and would like to think that this shows in my work.
              It certainly does! I have really been loving your posts here, especially this post. I ahave always been interested in cars, and automotive develelopment. I know what you mean about press release images being heavily processed. Some are so artificial looking. I far prefer the raw images.

By the way, I didn't mean to be cheeky in my original post, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment to ask who you were! But, thank you for your background, I am always interested to find out about people. Where are you based?

thanks again,

Garry
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Previously the South East of England, now Marbella.

The sunset light in Spain is fabulous. That is where the Rolls Royce pics were taken. That said, the BMW was shot in Germany, the Rinspeed ZaZen near Marseilles, and the Ferrari Lusso close to good old Hastings!

Comment

I have also loved your work and very much look forward to seeing more.

I used to do a lot of car work, mostly studio based, but that was quite a while ago in the days of transparencies.
                  Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. I will never forget how a good transparency 'pops' on a light box - it looks so 3D. But I have to admit that I do not miss dropping off film, picking it up, cutting the slides, packaging them and sending them off....

Nor do I miss the cost of a roll of film and processing!
                    Last edited by Greatestape; 17-06-2013, 21:55.

Comment

Most of mine was cut film in a large format camera, with processing on the premises. I never let the cars off the set until they were processed dried and on the light box and the client was happy.

I don't miss wiping out a 1/4 roll of background paper every time a car rolled over it though.
                      Colin

Comment

Rather like number three. The rest (to me at least) are just cars. (Apologies to all the "car" people out there. )

Number three as something else imho.

... No worries, I'll get me coat...
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X