A sad end....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sad end....

One of the Mag Lev (Magnetic Levitation), driverless cars that originally linked Birmingham International Station with the Airport. Now, sadly, standing unloved in a field near the airport, surrounded by rubbish.

Maglev was removed when spares became impossible to source, the whole thing being replaced by an equivalent using cable car technology. Maglev used to be a good Sunday afternoon excursion for the kids.... I seem to remember that another car is now at Railworld in Peterbrough.

Strictly speaking I thnk I should have posted this in the "Air" section as it had no contact with the ground when it was working.

50D + EF75-300.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: A sad end....

You would think that Birmingham, with its proud past in the industrial revolution, would be able to make any spares needed!

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Birmingham don't make anything any more. Didn't realize the maglev wasn't still running. Maybe I've been on the replacement and not realized. Good picture of a not very easy scene. Very poignent.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks. For Woolley the original (actual) Maglev went out of service in 1995, and if my memory is right the cable car replacement started in 2003. Riding in them was little different - no driver, computer controlled, smooth, free, etc.
        The abandoned car is behind the Holiday Inn at the "cargo" entrance to Birmingham Airport, and became visible from the A45 when some clearing was done for the current hotel refurbishment. That's from where I took the shot because it emphasised all the rubbish around it.
        Cheers, Chris.
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
        X