Harewood Car Show 2010 - Overall Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harewood Car Show 2010 - Overall Winner

This vehicle was judged the best in show. The owner spent 8 years restoring it.

I thought it might also lend itself to a black and white conversion.

Re: Harewood Car Show 2010 - Overall Winner

Nice clear, sharp shot, thanks for posting.
    I'd have been fishing for a more 'front on' shot of hm with a wider aperture.
    The stuff in the BG can be viewed as clutter or adding context - best to go for both options, maybe you did ? :-)

Millie

Comment

Thanks for your comments millie. There was little or no consideration given to photography at the presentations. The prizes were given out by the bloke who'd done the talking all through the day who was helped by two other blokes (one got the trophies out of a box and the other passed him the certificates). Both of them wandered around in the way most of the time. As I was behind a barrier which was liined with people restricting movement I definitely couldn't get right in front. And the winner wasn't posing for shots, he just did a slow pirouette sort of thing, which I wasn't expecting, then disappeared into his van and drove off. By the time I'd raised the camera this was the only shot I could get of him showing off the trophy. No time for changing settings and having another go I'm afraid, although I'm quite happy with the background as it is (except for the TVR immediately behind it, but there was nothing I could do about that).

How's that for a set of excuses?

Comment

How's that for a set of excuses?
        None required Rover; it’s a pretty good picture

For this type of event; I think a lot depends on whether you're in 'spectator mode' or 'photographer mode'.
        I don't mean this in a negative way, I mean it's more difficult for a member of the public at an event as a spectator (maybe with company) to get ideally posed shots (unless you are lucky).
        If it was vital, you’d have contact details of the organisers etc , so you wouldn’t be restricted by barriers etc, and you could set up an ideal shot.

Making a general point, about the images you see on these forums:

Some people frequently post pictures from events/ places they’ve visited on a daily basis, kind of like photoblogging, they can be unlucky and get rotten conditions, and limited access etc.

Others are only posting their best shots from 6 years of photography (or longer), visiting places umpteen times, and only posting their very best shot from a day were everything was ideal.

Generally speaking, people viewing pictures won't take any difficulties/excuses into account - not fair ?? :-)
        Millie
        Last edited by Millie; 23-06-2010, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
          Generally speaking, people viewing pictures won't take any difficulties/excuses into account - not fair ?? :-)
          Millie
          It may not be fair Millie, but it's the way it is.

The general public, editors, competition judges, forum peers only look at the picture. They don't care, or need to know, whether it was an impulsive snap, or the result of years of research and planning. The picture stands or falls on it's own merit.

As photographers, our thoughts on our own work is subconsciously swayed by the amount of effort we put into the shot. There are times when that effort isn't acknowledged or rewarded, but quick snaps are praised beyond recognition. It may seem unfair, but it is a useful mechanism to keep our feet firmly on the ground and appreciate that the photographers eye is more important than equipment and all the other paraphernalia associated with photography.

Colin in serious mode ............. whatever next?

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I know this man

Great images Rover
            There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

He looks a bit happier in your shot Coda.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by codachrome View Post
                I know this man

Great images Rover
                Thanks for your comments and for posting your shot, it adds more to his story. Do you really know him or was it at another show?

Nice to see him with a bit of a smile - must be the thought of the money he will make selling the carrots.

Comment

At those prices ..................... the money he will be losing!

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Just shows how often I buy carrots then. :)

Comment

My image was taken at the 1940s weekend at Haworth..He always remembers me as I go back every year and give him some prints.
                      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by codachrome View Post
                        My image was taken at the 1940s weekend at Haworth..He always remembers me as I go back every year and give him some prints.
                        That's a sneaky way to get him to pose - why didn't I think of it? ;)

Comment

Working...
                        X