Deltic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deltic...

My first motorbikes were all small capacity two-strokes and the simplicity of these engines lent themselves well to the task. Simple because they had no moving valves and lubrication was taken care of by combining oil with petrol (either pre-mix or injected) but burning the oil did make them a bit smoky with a tell-tale blue haze following you around. It's for reasons of limiting emissions that two-strokes of all sizes have now been all but eliminated from the new market.

Going up in size just a little we find that small capacity motorcycles were not the only uses for two-strokes as Napier built a 'Deltic' configuration two-stroke diesel engine for both marine and railway use and, the subject of this picture, is the Class 55 'Deltic' railway engine. Just in case an 18 cylinder, 36 piston, 1,650 hp, supercharged engine was found wanting two were fitted.

Six made it into preservation and D9009 'Alycidon' came to town yesterday hauling the Torbay & Dart Explorer. It took me by surprise on the way down; I was sat in the garden when I was hit by this cacophony of noise that I thought was a helicopter flying at cliff-top height - then this rattled into view. "Bloody hell, it's a Deltic!" I shouted to my wife (why she wasn't as excited as I was I really don't know ).

On the return I was more prepared and managed to grab this shot of it climbing the bank out of Paignton just passing us at Hollicombe:

IMG_7331 by John Leah, on Flickr

It took a while for the blue smoke to clear but it was worth it to see, and hear, a Deltic in action and in anger for the first time. True it's not steam but a fine second

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 05-07-2015, 23:22.

Re: Deltic...

These make a great noise, nice image.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Superb shot John, that Deltic looks to be in great condition too.

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Great shot of an iconic loco John
        Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
        EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Lovely shot John.
          Neil

Comment

Well taken John

Tom

Comment

Thanks folks

With my permission the owning preservation group have used this image on their website.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                Thanks folks

With my permission the owning preservation group have used this image on their website.

Cheers,
                John
                Excellent
                Neil

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                  Thanks folks

Cheers,
                  John
                  and its a great shot - nice to have someone ask as well
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

super shot

Comment

Really nice composition, and well done getting it onto their website.
                      Andrew

Comment

Thanks folks

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Ace photo - shame we can't have the sound.
                          Running just on one engine?
                          Cheers, Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
                            Ace photo - shame we can't have the sound.
                            Running just on one engine?
                            Cheers, Chris.
                            Well, it had twelve hooked on behind and wasn't hanging around even up the bank and with an even steeper one just after Torquay Station* to come I'd say it must have had both running. One, however, does seem in a better state of tune than the other

* On the bank after Torquay the line passes a cricket ground where a match was in progress. Someone I know was spectating and reported that there was so much oily blue smoke causing coughing and spluttering of players and spectators alike play was paused for a while

Here's another image that I discounted due to the fence but is does show the fug it's producing:
                            IMG_7327 by John Leah, on Flickr

I hope those leaning out of the windows had breathing apparatus

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X