English Riviera Express tour – again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Riviera Express tour – again!

BR Standard Class 7 No: 70000 ‘Britannia’ with 47614 on rear is seen at Dawlish working the1Z60 0545 Crewe to KingswearEnglish Riviera Express’ tour on the 3rd September 2022.

70000 Britannia by Colin Wallace, on Flickr
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Lovely shot Colin. Had to miss this one as you know until I can find a way of fitting a camera to a pair of crutches
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Excellent work Colin.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Steam and the sea, what's not to like...

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Nice work
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
            Lovely shot Colin. Had to miss this one as you know until I can find a way of fitting a camera to a pair of crutches
            What have you been doing?

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
              What have you been doing?
              Hi Burnie, Total right knee replacement. I’m now like a fish out of water, I’m not used to not being able to do anything. Thanks for asking.
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

That's spot on Colin

Trev: Knee replacement! I was listed for both mine but after long discussions with my consultant, talking to others and reading up on it I chickened out

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Nicely done Colin

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                    That's spot on Colin

Trev: Knee replacement! I was listed for both mine but after long discussions with my consultant, talking to others and reading up on it I chickened out

Cheers,
                    John
                    John there’s been times over the past three weeks when I’d wished that I had done the same. However I THINK I’m getter there now, have still got my second knee booked in. What made you decide against it.
                    Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

John there’s been times over the past three weeks when I’d wished that I had done the same. However I THINK I’m getter there now, have still got my second knee booked in. What made you decide against it.
                      Sorry Trev, only just spotted this

It was pretty much my consultant who talked me out of it by explaining there's a high percentage of failure, that even if initially successful they often need replacing after a few years, there's lots of physiotherapy called for that can last over a year and that I can expect pain throughout.

Then I had a chat with a near neighbour who'd had one knee replaced and unprompted he described the same thereby confirming my consultant's opinion.

Considering that both of my knees were to be replaced about a year apart meant that I could experience difficulties for at least two years I decided to wait until I really, really needed it.

A postscript to this is that, even if not proceeding with replacements, one knee has something loose floating around causing it to lock up so my consultant had me booked in for an arthroscopy to inspect and flush it out and I was prepared for the post-op physio. However, when I attended my pre-operative appointment using a walking stick and doubled up in pain (from what I now know is a slipped disc) it was pointed out that I would not be able to carry out that physiotherapy so I agreed to cancel the appointment and wait until later in the year.

Knees not currently hurting possibly as a result of the Tramadol and Talisker cocktail that's keeping my back pain at bay

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

It was pretty much my consultant who talked me out of it by explaining there's a high percentage of failure, that even if initially successful they often need replacing after a few years, there's lots of physiotherapy called for that can last over a year and that I can expect pain throughout.

Then I had a chat with a near neighbour who'd had one knee replaced and unprompted he described the same thereby confirming my consultant's opinion.

Considering that both of my knees were to be replaced about a year apart meant that I could experience difficulties for at least two years I decided to wait until I really, really needed it.

A postscript to this is that, even if not proceeding with replacements, one knee has something loose floating around causing it to lock up so my consultant had me booked in for an arthroscopy to inspect and flush it out and I was prepared for the post-op physio. However, when I attended my pre-operative appointment using a walking stick and doubled up in pain (from what I now know is a slipped disc) it was pointed out that I would not be able to carry out that physiotherapy so I agreed to cancel the appointment and wait until later in the year.

Knees not currently hurting possibly as a result of the Tramadol and Talisker cocktail that's keeping my back pain at bay

Cheers,
                        John
                        Thanks John. I think it’s a risk you take. At the moment I’m still in considerable pain but. I think I’m getting there. I’m one of these people who will not give up or give in. There were problems with my knee other than the normal that resulted from a bad landing on a night jump. Just a case now of keeping up the exercises and hoping for the best.
                        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Great shot Colin.
                          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Lovely image Colin, well done.
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

John
                              My consultant said something similar although he didn't say to expect pain throughout...

I had it done anyway as the knee was completely and utterly knackered. I don't recall that much pain but by then it would have been hard pressed to be worse than I had experienced from the pre-op wreck that the joint had become. Regular physio only lasted 2-3 months although I did have occasional extra physio when required but as long as I actually did the daily knee exercises the physio recommended this wasn't very often. I still do the exercises more or less every day as the joint can tighten up a bit if left to long but as they only take about 10 minutes it's hardly a burden.

Once done the benefits were great; no loss of sleep caused by persistent and/or sudden pain in the night, which really does take it out of you, and of course I regained mobility - the pain riddled 25+ minute hobble to my local watering hole shrank back to a rather more reasonable 8-10 minutes...

To some extent it is a bit of a gamble as to how good the outcome is but I also suspect that the consultants err a bit on the side of caution when it comes to discussing the risks & benefits. In the end it may well come down to a matter of balancing the pain and inconvenience you are currently in against any you might get post surgery.

Best wishes either way.
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X