Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Nigel Gresley

I love this train

Ok before you tell me about all the things that are wrong with this picture most of which I know,I just like this train and in time might be able to take a picture that looks as good as she does.

Right please feel free to take this one apart as input leads to improvment(I hope)
    My friends call me Woody

Re: Sir Nigel Gresley

All the A4 Pacifics look great...

I think this shot would be better converted to B&W. Lighting conditions look to be hard & colour really hasn't worked in this instance... In fact, I just had a quick play - and B&W is better - IMO !

I can't make out the station name - but you've done incredibly well not to have any people in the shot!
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

It was taken in Perstonpans just east of Edinbourgh and it was going a bit fast just wish there could have been some steam but its down hill there and as it came from London its all black on the top.
      My friends call me Woody

Comment

Is this better Canon-Fodder?
        My friends call me Woody

Comment

I'd have cloned out the pylon just behind the stack, as it looks part of the engine (i know its not).Might even taken all the overhead stuff out as well?
          Nice perspective
          shoot the Canon

http://www.twpc.org.uk/

Comment

Zed1,
            Smashing shot! The B+W is very retro.... reminds me of my attempts to photograph members of the class passing through Hitchin on the same East Coast route about 50 years ago! Thanks for sharing.
            Perhaps that is why I prefer the colour version - to help show off the work that has been done to restore her. They were never that clean in those latter days of steam. I think Archivist's suggestion is feasible though possibly time consuming. Much of the electrics is against the sky. Similarly the station name could be obliterated so that the viewer is encouraged to concentrate on the subject.

If Chris J is looking at this parallel thread his question may be answered here. The nameplate appears to be pretty close to the point of best focus.

If Andrew (admin) is looking this is an 'indirect image-post' which is 800 px wide and appears to rest on the post without causing distortion.

Gerald
            Last edited by Manipulator; 14-09-2009, 23:00. Reason: To add last 2 points on other threads

Comment

Thanks for all your comments I do wish I had taken this fine train using raw and not jpeg only
              My friends call me Woody

Comment

Z
                Well done ..great improvement. If I were to be picky... the lamp standard on the RHS could go too leaving just a natural scene behind.
                G
                Last edited by Manipulator; 22-09-2009, 18:21. Reason: after thought

Comment

Doh!!!!!!!

Still wish I had taken this one in raw

And a little steam would`nt have gone a miss
                  Last edited by Zed one; 23-09-2009, 05:25.
                  My friends call me Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Zed one View Post
                    And a little steam would`nt have gone a miss
                    Indeed but i that case, if it was a true record you would need sufficient head-space in the shot to see it. If a loco is belting out steam/smoke the classical shot will record that too. Maybe it would help elliminate some of the electrical rubbish at the same time!

Comment

Manipulator this shot was cropped quite a lot but as she was going down hill and wasnt under much load there wasnt any steam which was my fault and after taking this shot I now know it was not the best place to take it,But its the first time I found this train running close to me I just had to get a picture.
                      I have learned a lot from this train and hope to put it into practice the next time.Thanks for all your input
                      My friends call me Woody

Comment

Great shot! Pure nostalgia, I watched this as a wee lad in the early 1960's on Tyneside. What a fabulous design! Cheers, Bill

Comment

Try laying on the platform, would make a more striking image and give viewer more idea of her shear size
                          David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

Another shot of No.7 on the inaugural run after her rebuild.

Bob

Comment

...and No.9.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X