Double-headed 37s on Dainton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-headed 37s on Dainton

Sometime about 1990 a friend I had been at school with but now lived in Switzerland was here in Devon for a few days holiday so, both being railway enthusiasts, it seemed only natural that we'd go out to one of my favourite spotting places: the now demolished Cockleford Bridge just to the south of Dainton Tunnel.

We'd been watching the usual parade of 47s, HSTs and Sprinters but suddenly heard an almighty roar coming from down the bank in the direction of Totnes. It just got louder and louder until this came around the bend beneath Wrigwell Bridge: Double headed 37s on the Burngullow to Irvine 'Silver Bullets' clay train. I'm sure you can imagine the impact this pair of 'Tractors' grinding away at Dainton had on my friend who had spent so many years on a diet of near silent Swiss electics.

The image is a low res scan of a negative (EOS 5 or 650) as I couldn't find a print. It also had a lot of work in Neo to remove dust marks.

Double headed 37s ... by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

A train spotters delight nicely captured John and reproduced.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The low res scan has given it a rather pleasant painterly appeal which works rather well.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Great shot John, pity you couldn't capture the sound of the "tractors" too
        Last edited by Bill53; 27-01-2023, 19:03.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks folks

Bill: Absolutely

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Great photo John, nice location and excellent Class 37's.

Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
            X