Knockhill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knockhill

I'm totally gutted. Headed up to Knockhill today and made every error in the book.

Tried my Sigma 70-300 but it's performance after the 24-105 L was poor so put it back in the bag and stuck with the L lens, which never gave me enough range. Add to that standing at all the wrong places....ie fastest parts, trying to track cars doing approx 100mph as they pass you. Standing at blind corners and not being able to see the cars until they are on top of you.

Shot the lot on manual and more concerned about exposure and shutter speed but had serious brain fade over aperture shot most, if not all at f4, so had a perfect pin sharp door but either end of the cars were soft. Did not realise this until I loaded them onto the mac and tried to work out what went wrong.

First time at doing this, took over 500 pics and 95% just gave me frustration. BUT it's another learning experience.

Btaxi1.jpg by evojkp, on Flickr

btaxi2.jpg by evojkp, on Flickr

elise1.jpg by evojkp, on Flickr

Hopefully should learn from this next time

Re: Knockhill

tvr1.jpg by evojkp, on Flickr

gtr2.jpg by evojkp, on Flickr

atom by evojkp, on Flickr

Comment

Nowt wrong with these..like em.
      hhcanon

Comment

As you say, its a learning curve. I was at Knockhill for the touring cars three years ago and ended up with the same frustrations over missed shots, but still enjoyed the experience. My shots were all taken on a 17 - 85 IS USM so even less range than you! I have open tickets for Knockhill for my birthday, so another attempt in the offing - and I have the Canon 70 - 300 IS USM to help out a bit this time! I would be quite happy to use these shots as a benchmark for my next visit, well done.

Peter

Comment

Thanks chaps.

I am tempted to head back up tomorrow for the rallycross day. They should guarantee sideways action, rather than being a bad person and hoping someone crashes their road car at the hairpin while you have your camera out, like I was doing today....

Comment

Rather like the TVR1 shot. Not sure whether its the black and white or the feel of speed it has.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

They look god to me. Blurred wheels and background, sharp cars. Job done.
              Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Cheers folks. Must admit I'm liking them myself now.

A couple more

btaxi3 by evojkp, on Flickr

mini1 by evojkp, on Flickr

Comment

as you say, a notch on the learning curve! however, for what it's worth, some of the shots with a shallow depth do work well for me, where the front and or rear are slightly blurred and the door pin sharp. It adds to the sense of speed in some ways. also, I read somewhere you can use the blur tool in PSE to create this and retouch it to help the pic too
                  I do like the TVR shot, very nice.
                  David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                  All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Well - if that was your first time then I think you have done really well, my only suggestions would be - use shutter speed instead of manual especially at this time of year when the light can change from shot to shot, and try a slower speed to get more wheel / background motion, as a rule I usually start at around 1/250 and work down to anything around 1/60 (although the keep rate at that speed is very low) I tend to favour 1/160 up to 1/250 for the majority of mine.

.DAVID.
                    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                      Well - if that was your first time then I think you have done really well, my only suggestions would be - use shutter speed instead of manual especially at this time of year when the light can change from shot to shot, and try a slower speed to get more wheel / background motion, as a rule I usually start at around 1/250 and work down to anything around 1/60 (although the keep rate at that speed is very low) I tend to favour 1/160 up to 1/250 for the majority of mine.

.DAVID.
                      That works for me too. I am doing Karts in two weeks and my shutter will be on about 1/100 as they go slower than the cars
                      ef-r

Comment

so had a perfect pin sharp door but either end of the cars were soft.
                        A liitle sharpening with DPP software may help.
                        I also like these images.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                          That works for me too. I am doing Karts in two weeks and my shutter will be on about 1/100 as they go slower than the cars
                          Depends what category of Karts they are - F1 Karts are really rapid !!

Comment

I think these shots are great, can i ask what camera and lens they were taken with? Harvey

Comment

Good set that you've posted and you seem to have the hang of panning which is great.

Paul
                              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                              X