The Vital Spark, Inveraray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vital Spark, Inveraray

The Vital Spark is a fictional Clyde puffer, created by Scottish writer Neil Munro. As its captain, the redoubtable Para Handy, often says: "the smertest boat in the coastin' tred".
    The original BBC Series Para Handy - Master Mariner, which ran from 1959-60, starred Duncan MacRae (Para Handy), Roddy McMillan (The Mate), and John Grieve (Dan MacPhail, the engineer). Six episodes were filmed, none of which survive.
    In 1994 BBC Scotland produced "The Tales Of Para Handy" which starred Gregor Fisher in the lead role alongside Sean Scanlan as Dougie, Andrew Fairlie as Sunny Jim and Rikki Fulton as Dan McPhail. The series also featured a young David Tennant in one of his first acting roles.

7D, EFs 15-85, 1/100 @ f10, ISO 100

The Vital Spark, Inveraray by mike.stephen99 (catching up), on Flickr
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Re: The Vital Spark, Inveraray

Thanks for that - recall the original series. Was it really that long ago !! Don't recall the remake.

Comment

Aye, time flies
      I remember the remake but was too young to remember the original - I was only 2
      I read the book which was quite good

Mike
      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Funny I recalled that Roddy McMillan was Para Handy and when I googled it Wikipedia provided the answer. Roddy played the Mate in the b&w series but then got promoted to Captain in the colour series in the seventies which I vaguely remember. I do like the book though.
        Good picture Mike.

Cheers
        Scott
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
        X