Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iMac Retina

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    iMac Retina

    Last week my old iMac (2009) started playing up and was eventually diagnosed with graphics card problems.
    So, after much deliberation I decided to upgrade to the new retina iMac, fortunately having a wife who is a teacher meant we got a decent discount in the Apple store.

    So far I've been very pleased. The display is extremely good, very clear with even lighting.
    Editing in Lightroom is good with no lags or delays, and response is generally better than my old iMac.

    The migration was easy and my time machine backup was easily applied and all accounts and info transferred to the be machine.
    Overall, I'd definitely recommend the retina iMac.
    Andy
    _____________________________
    Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

    #2
    Re: iMac Retina

    whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one ,and its probably still worth a few hundred even for spares and repairs ,i can never understand anyone not going for one

    Comment


      #3
      Re: iMac Retina

      Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one
      If the graphics card had not started playing up I'd have probably stick with it for another year or more, it was still running nice and quick and coped with Lightroom and Photoshop very well.
      Andy
      _____________________________
      Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

      Comment


        #4
        Re: iMac Retina

        I use a iMac 27" during the day but when I needed to upgrade my laptop went for the retina mac book pro and you can see quite a difference between them looking at images side by side - Its probably going to be a good few years before I upgrades my Imac but it will defiantly be a retina display, or whatever there new screen will be by then

        enjoy the new machine
        :- Ian

        5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

        :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

        Comment


          #5
          Re: iMac Retina

          I replaced my 2008 iMac last year and got a few hundred for it. It worked fine but had slowed down due to the software I was running. I do know its still going strong. I do think they are ultimately worth the money because they certainly keep going for longer than a any PC I had before.
          Have fun with the new machine.

          Sue

          Comment


            #6
            Re: iMac Retina

            Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            I use a iMac 27" during the day but when I needed to upgrade my laptop went for the retina mac book pro and you can see quite a difference between them looking at images side by side - Its probably going to be a good few years before I upgrades my Imac but it will defiantly be a retina display, or whatever there new screen will be by then

            enjoy the new machine
            I just upgraded my Macbook Air to the MacBook Pro. I did look at the the new Macbook and did a price comparison and decided that for the price I got more by going with the pro than the new Macbook.

            Tom

            Comment


              #7
              Re: iMac Retina

              Enjoy your new computer.
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/


              Chris

              Comment


                #8
                Re: iMac Retina

                i,m actually on my third one ,the first did break after 4 years ,the second i sold after 5 years as a going unit and as far i know is still working ,and my present one i have had for a couple of years .

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: iMac Retina

                  Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one ,and its probably still worth a few hundred even for spares and repairs ,i can never understand anyone not going for one
                  I am looking at a new computer right now. To answer your query, it's the cost, pure and simple. I know your argument will be that the cost over the life of the machine is far less, but, I find it hard enough to raise the 600 or so for a decent spec pc. To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

                  Garry
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: iMac Retina

                    Originally posted by digiman View Post
                    . To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

                    Garry
                    ;o)... TBH I only bought them as a tax right off
                    :- Ian

                    5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

                    :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: iMac Retina

                      Originally posted by digiman View Post
                      I am looking at a new computer right now. To answer your query, it's the cost, pure and simple. I know your argument will be that the cost over the life of the machine is far less, but, I find it hard enough to raise the 600 or so for a decent spec pc. To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

                      Garry

                      really false economy long term ,a new i-mac will be up to standard out of the box ,apple usually update there systems once a year a new one will get you through 5 or 6 upgrades .with ease and without having to spend more money .you won't need a better screen as its built in ,you shouldn't (unless things change dramatically) have to worry about anti-virus software ,or upgrading your graphics or sound cards a year or so down the line .it gives you full access to i-tunes and its apps ,it integrates fully with a i-pad and i-phone .and basically all you need on your desktop is a screen ,19 ,21 or 27 inch a small wireless keyboard and a small wireless mouse
                      and quiet simply it JUST WORKS

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: iMac Retina

                        agree 100% about the Mac's Jeff, but if your limited by funds you have to run with what you can afford, whether thats false economy or not
                        :- Ian

                        5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

                        :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: iMac Retina

                          Obviously there is an initial outlay for a Mac or iMac.
                          The benefit for me though was that the iMac I just replaced was physically the same as when I bought it and was handily running the latest operating system. I've been pleased as in the past my PC seemed to always need some form of upgrade to keep up with software.
                          But as I say, I appreciate there is an initial cost to bear.
                          Hopefully my me iMac week give as good service as the old one.
                          Andy
                          _____________________________
                          Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: iMac Retina

                            Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            really false economy long term ,a new i-mac will be up to standard out of the box ,apple usually update there systems once a year a new one will get you through 5 or 6 upgrades .with ease and without having to spend more money .you won't need a better screen as its built in ,you shouldn't (unless things change dramatically) have to worry about anti-virus software ,or upgrading your graphics or sound cards a year or so down the line .it gives you full access to i-tunes and its apps ,it integrates fully with a i-pad and i-phone .and basically all you need on your desktop is a screen ,19 ,21 or 27 inch a small wireless keyboard and a small wireless mouse
                            and quiet simply it JUST WORKS
                            I knew my post would get the "false economy" line To put things in perspective (from where I'm sitting) my current laptop (Acer 5336) is 6 years old, which, unless I am mistaken, makes it the same age as Andys (OP) iMac, which is now giving (all be it minor) trouble. Mine cost me 349. It has a 640gbHDD and 4gb of ram and a 15.6" screen. I have a second monitor, a 19" Acer, which cost me 119 more than 8 years ago. I have the usual peripherals which I would need to buy with any computer. I don't have an iPad, iPhone or iPod, so none of that bothers me (although my wife does have an iPod, and the PC doesn't blow up every time it is connected). I run AVG anti virus, which seems to have been perfectly satisfactory so far. I have run PSElements from day 1, and LR4 from the time I got my EOS500, about 3 years ago, with no problems. To say that I should pay 2000 to upgrade from this setup, plus buy a second screen, keyboard and mouse before I get anywhere near the system I have now, well, makes no sense whatsover to me. Yesm my machine is beginning to show it's age, but, I'd hazard a guess that it is more down to bad housekeeping on my part, slowing it down, rather than the fact that it is a "not worth the money PC".

                            To sum up, 349 over 6 years gives me say 5/month. Not a bad investment in my book.
                            Last edited by digiman; 11-05-2015, 21:17.
                            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: iMac Retina

                              To sum up, 349 over 6 years gives me say 5/month. Not a bad investment in my book.
                              agree, but its not just about the price as the PC will always win that battle over Mac, but having used PCs for years I moved over to Macs and the system is much more stable and a lot faster - Reboots was something I used to do every morning, sometimes more often depending what was running, now I only reboot if I've had a download or update and currently due to work and load of stuff open I've not rebooted for couple of weeks, something I would never get away with on a PC
                              :- Ian

                              5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

                              :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X