FDR Tools Basic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FDR Tools Basic

Is anyone else here like me interested in full dynamic range pictures?

I really like the idea of using 3 exposures combined together to create a well balanced image.

I like doing a lot of cityscape work and therefore this can mean that when I look through the viewfinder, the light can have a range of about 4 stops. I could use grads but would prefer software that works well with RAW files. I downloaded the free FDR Tools basic and this is the most frustrating software in the whole world. It is the only time it has made me want to put my fist through my I-Mac.

Previously I tried downloading and using this on PC and have tried it twice on the Mac and still no success. Getting the program downloaded and working is a massive problem. Then using your pictures to create HDR is completely impossible. I am loathed to pay for the full version and also the software from the rival photomatix Pro.

Can I do tone mapping in DPP? I would not think so. I know that Aperture 3 does not do this which is why I have not bought it.

Would be great to hear from anyone.

Many thanks

Chris
    Sheffield
    EOS1DS Mk1 and 24-70 F2.8L

Re: FDR Tools Basic

I love the concept of HDR, but without some experienece or luck, many of the results I have seen look too false. I have used Photomatrix and with carefull tone mapping, good results are obtainable, but if you don't put in the extra work to get a subtle rendition, they can look over saturated and quite gaudy.

Before HDR, we could always obtain similar results in Photoshop, with the 3 or 5 exposures you would take for HDR. Expose them all to the same recipe in RAW and then transfer them to Photoshop and stack them as separate layers. As long as you hold down the shift key in conjunction with the move tool, they will stack accurately in register. As a basic method, use the eraser tool to remove unwanted areas to show the wanted areas underneath. For a more advanced method, use a layer mask for each layer, ensure the forground colour is black and the background colour white,click on the layer mask and using the brush tool with the forground layer set to black, paint out unwanted areas. If you make a mistake, click "X" to change the colour to white and paint it back in again. Click "X" to return to black. When you are happy with the result, flatten image and save under a different name. If it's a really good shot .............. you can save it under my name!

A bit slower than the HDR programs, but you do have full control and you are just using the tones within the original shot, albeit some are under, or over exposed.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Re: FDR Tools Basic

Hello Colin,
      Many thanks for your reply to this one. Going down the Photoshop route will certainly be a good option for me to try and hopefully a more accurate one.

Comment

Working...
      X