Sorting images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting images

Yes, it's an old topic, but I am still looking for some useful technique of sorting images on my HDD.

What's your method?

Re: Sorting images

Adobe Lightroom
    www.imagessouthwest.co.uk

Comment

Hello.

I have just seen your thread and can only tell you my workings.

I have successfully designed my own method in CS3 & CS4 using "Ratings & Labels", however I am just about to move over to Mac and will therefore be using "Aperture 2 and CS4 for my images and am very seriously considering looking at Bento2 which is a database pack specifically designed for Mac's.

I also have a "Portfolio 8.5" package available for sale if your interested.

Keep on clickin.

John Fairclough

Comment

Lightroom is probably the best of the Digital Asset Management (DAM) software out there. It has helped me no end of times find 'missing' images

Martin

Comment

Hi,
          I use Picassa its free and will find all the images on your hard drive.
          Great because of the price.
          My Website
          My Photo Compilations
          Equipment
          Canon Eos 20d
          Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens
          Tamron 17-50 f2.8
          Speedlite 480ex 530 ex
          STE 2

C and C Always Welcomed

The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera. ~W. Eugene Smith

Comment

Picassa is OK as a free download, but it tends to take over. I think Adobe Lightroom is the best software out there at the moment for sorting and filing images.

Comment

I'm a Mac man. Aperture for me!

Comment

Originally posted by trevorbray View Post
                I'm a Mac man. Aperture for me!
                Aperture for me too. Just installed a 1TB drive to move my library onto – painless. Backups are stable and finding images easy. I don't edit much in it though, favouring PhotoShop for that.
                Dave

Comment

Using Windows so tends to be Bridge and Lightroom. The problem with Lightroom is you can't view an image on the HD without first importing the image or containing folder. Because of this if I am searching my HD for an existing but non-imported image/images I use Bridge as a quick-view browser. However if I have a completely new shoot to review I will import, rate and export the ones I want to keep via Lightroom. Lightroom is great for working/syncronising with external drives, creating a range of catalogues and general DAM requirements.

Comment

I get a little lady in the village to.... I jest.

All RAW are blue.All others are red. I keep shots in subject based folders, but as there is cross-over I tag them all in Bridge with keywords from a fixed list. To find something I just do a keyword search for say 'cars' and up they all come. I give three stars for my best shots so I can search for those too. There aren't too many of those! You can easily change the sort order of files in Bridge to help you find stuff.

Gotta go, the data lady just arrived.

Comment

I tend to use Adobe Bridge (or Canon DPP to quickly veiw RAW files) and keep them sorted thematically and by date
                      www.garywhite-photography.com
                      Gary White, MPhil
                      Travel Photographer

Comment

As an official Adobe reviewer I am needless to say almost bound to favour Lightroom 2 or the forthcoming 3rd incarnation to be the best! Seriously any bias aside there is little to beat it
                        Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

I agree ................ if you don't have Photoshop.

Over the years I have tried many different RAW converters and lightroom has all the whistles and bellsand the ability to straighten horizons and make local corrections is very useful. But I have CS4 to do that and it does it quicker and better.

For RAW conversions, I always fall back to Canon's DPP. It has all the facilities I need for a RAW converter and it is quick. Any final tweeking I need to do is done in CS4.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Lightroom. Lr 3 looks good.
                            Roy

Comment

Working...
                            X