Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight tripod advice

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone owns or has used one of these tripods.

Manfrotto Carbon Fibre Tripod + 3-way QR Head - 732CY-A3RC1. I recognise that it is a light weight tripod and it would be used mainly for when I'm out walking (Lakes/Peak, Wales, Scottish Highlands etc etc).

They can be had just now for what seems a reasonable price from the likes of Jessops

but thought I'd ask around here first before deciding on purchasing one.

Current body is a 300D but am about to venture into full-frame soon (I hope).

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: Lightweight tripod advice

It is lightweight and not exactly rugged, but then again, any tripod is better than no tripod.

I would use one for travelling/holidays and generally hang my camera bag from the centre column to add some rigidity.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin,

Yes I'm aware of the limitations but as you say it is for holidays/travel and hiking. My other thought was a gorilla pod - need to do more internet searching.
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I have a gorilla pod and whilst it can be usefull at times it is no substitute for a decent tripod.
        Martin
        Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

I tried a Gorilla Pod in the shop. Great idea and I am drawn towards clever solutions, but thnkfully, I left the shop without one. An inexpensive tripod is much better.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            An inexpensive tripod is much better.
            Try getting an inexpensive tripod to do this. ;-)

gorillapod-slr2.jpg
            Regards ,
            Norman

Comment

I am pretty sure I could do it, but the legs would never retract again.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Yours, or the tripod's?
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

An update on this. It was my birthday a week or so ago and I got lucky with my other half insisting on me having both the lightweight Manfrotto tripod and a DSLR gorilla pod. The tripod has been used a couple of times already and I think it will be great for the next time we manage to get out to the hills. The gorilla pod has been tried out on on our balcony railings so I can see that it will be good for those situations when you really want to travel light - possibly when travelling by air.

Cheers
                  Scott
                  Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Scott, I have been thinking of getting a DSLR gorilla pod but have been hesitant as I am unsure if it would support my 100-400 or my 70-200 f2.8 IS MKII with a 50D.
                    What equipment do you use on your DSLR Gorilla pod??

David
                    David

Comment

Hi Scott, I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 four section carbon tripod it's a great product lightweight beautifully built and sturdy enough for most uses, 4 section legs have plus and minus points. but all in highly recommended.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                        Scott, I have been thinking of getting a DSLR gorilla pod but have been hesitant as I am unsure if it would support my 100-400 or my 70-200 f2.8 IS MKII with a 50D.

David
                        The DSLR Zoom GorillaPod's really aren't substantial enough to support a camera plus the lenses you suggest!

I use one with short-zooms, whilst they're a clever design, they really aren't that stable and wobble around in the slightest breeze. For a 1kg+ lens they'd be totally useless! Now I tend to only use it to support an off-camera flash.

Have you thought about a bean-bag instead? I have a StealthGear bag, and have packed it with both rice and polystyrene beads to give decent support and decent weight. The StealthGear bags are split so they can lay over branches, walls, or car doors or splay-open to give a broad base. They also come with two sets of adjustable straps allowing the bag to be attached to something (a branch for example) and the camera to be attached to the bag, and the straps double as a shoulder strap for carrying.
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

S_J_P,
                          Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
                          I have a bean-bag and usually manage to leave it at behind when I go out. I was thinking of the GorillaPod for when I go home to Aus as it would fit nicely into my luggage with not a lot of space being taken up plus it would also be nice and light.
                          David
                          Last edited by djguk47; 10-05-2012, 16:13.
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post

David
                            Hi David,

I'm slightly hesitant to confess (because I haven't posted anything from it yet) that I also also upgraded my camera and am now the proud owner of a 5DMkII with the EF 24-105L lens which is what I tried out on the gorilla pod "strapped" to our external balcony railings - with me hanging on to the camera strap just in case. I needn't have worried though as it took the weight of this combination with no problems. I see it more as a piece of equipment that you can easily jam in a day sack and not even notice the weight so no need to ever be without some form of support.I'm not sure how it would handle the bigger lenses but it claims to handle up to 3Kg.

Scott
                            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                              ..., whilst they're a clever design, they really aren't that stable and wobble around in the slightest breeze. For a 1kg+ lens they'd be totally useless! Now I tend to only use it to support an off-camera flash.
                              Just saw this after I replied. I guess you have been using this for some time now S_J_T - I've only just got mine so it's still reasonably "tight" maybe it loosens over time?
                              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X