Canon 580EX Flash gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 580EX Flash gun

I hope you can advice me. I recently acquired a mint 580EX Mk1 flash gun, which had not been used for several years.The flash works OK but I find that I cannot alter the zoom setting, which is on 14mm,nor can I get rid of the "m" symbol which is by the side of the zoom setting,nor can I alter the CF functions. I have manged to put it on ETTL.I have gone through the manual insides out and am pressing the right buttons but there is no response.
    Can any member tell me whether I am doing something wrong somewhere. I have even removed the batteries and re-inserted them (new batteries at that) but there is no change. However, when I attach the flash to the camera (5D MK2) and take pictures, it works OK.

Do I have to send the flash for a service? Any idea of costs?

Many thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon 580EX Flash gun

HI Nat, The first thing to check whether the wide panel is down or stuck in any way.

Trev

Comment

Canon 580EX Flash gun

Trev may have something there. Try pulling the wide panel out and then pushing it back into its slot at the rear - this should then auto activate the zoom mechanism.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I did not notice the wide panel being stuck in anyway, when I first handled the flash gun. However I will try it again,more deliberately.The manual also states that when a compatible lens is on the camera, that there should be a symbol next to the zoom number which is at present stuck on 14mm. I cannot see any such symbol although I have attached the 24-105mm lens to my 5D MK2 body. I am only wondering whether the non use for several years had dried up something inside the flashgun.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

This is just to confirm that the wide panel slips in and out quite easily. I think without further experimenting with the flash gun, I will show it to Lehemanns in Stoke on Trent, on my way tomorrow to the West Midlands. I know one chap at Lehemanns who has been very helpful to me in the past, and he will take a look at it. I can even leave it with him and collect the flash on my way back. I am almost certain that it is the non use for a long time that has caused this problem.

Comment

Canon 580EX Flash gun

Sounds a great idea. I had them look at a 100-400 lens that had a judder when it's IS was switched on and they fixed it in less than half hour.
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I'll second the wide panel comment. If the flash thinks the wide panel is out it will stick at 14mm zoom, there is a sensor to know when it is fully in and it can be a bit tricky.
              John

Comment

If you have access to a 'Dust Off' (pressurized air) aerosol then a quick blast with that might help. But just a very brief blast ... as you'll come into contact with the realisation of one of Boyle's [Robert not Frankie!!] laws.

Comment

Working...
                X