Red-Door.co.uk? Any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone bought from them before? The kit I want (at the link) will cost me £425, a hell of a lot of money to me and I'm very torn between this and an iPad mini but I know this is what I should really be buying as I have an iPhone 4s. One reason for wanting the iPad is the larger display which I would use for showing people my work as they always say my iPhone is too small and I don't use the laptop because of the awful screen quality.
    My reason for needing the Promote is for timelapse work. I really need the bulb ramping facility. I will also find the HDR feature quite useful.

So as you can see, this is a big decision and I want to make sure this is a reliable shop I'm buying from.

I'd also like to ask if anyone has any experience with the promote control for bulb ramping?
    With any luck, I'll start doing some weddings soon as long as I can find a local photographer to shadow to get started and if so I'll be able to afford both soon enough.

Thanks
    Damian

Re: Red-Door.co.uk? Any experience?

I really need the bulb ramping facility. I will also find the HDR feature quite useful.
    Damian

What camera do you use? Most of the semi-pro and pro Canons use the 3 pin release, so the Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 will do what you need.

You want 100 shots at 2 second intervals .............. you got it and most other combinations up to 999 shots. Shop carefully and you can get it for around £100 and you can even take a chance with non Canon ones for around £20.

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin
      Thanks for the reply.

I actually already have this remote but it doesn't have the bulb ramping feature unfortunatley. I actually got mine for £70 so not a bad price.

Comment

Or consider TriggerTrap, the iOS app plus £25 for the widget to connect it to your 'phone (or iPad). It'll bulb-ramp, do HDR (including time lapse HDR), and a whole raft of other things you'll probably never need.

I got it a week or so ago but haven't had a good play with it yet, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Promote you linked to!
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Hi S_J_P
          Thanks for that, it looks really interesting and will certainly do for now until I have the money to spend on the Promote. It will also allow me to buy the iPad:D yay

Comment

doesn't have the bulb ramping feature
            Whilst I know a fair bit about photography, one of the benefits of this Forum is we can all learn from each other. I am not quite sure what bulb ramping is and would appreciate your explanation.
            Colin

Comment

Ah yes, this question. I'll try my best to explain though it's fairly complicated.

Basically, when you do a timelapse video using a DSLR camera, you need to use manual exposure mode as if you use an automated mode, the differences in exposure are too great making the changes noticable and it can also result in a flickering affect. However, with manual mode you cannot change the exposure so if you wosh to capture changing light such as a sunset, you need the exposure to increase. This is what the bulb ramping bit is. It basically increases the exposure very finley from one shot to the next over a set number of shots and is usually accurate to 0.003 ev or something like that. This gives a far smoother transition form day to night while keeping a good exposure. For example: you may start before sunset at 1/60 and end after sunset at 8 seconds.

I hope I've explained that right. When my mum asked why I wanted the remote she just looked at me with a blank expression when I explained what it does...

Comment

I hope I've explained that right.
                Thank you Damian. I didn't understand the concept, but now I do and I appreciate your explanation.
                Colin

Comment

Thank you for asking the question Colin and a great answer Damian, I also have learnt something today.

Comment

Working...
                  X