Optech Camera Sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optech Camera Sling

Help, I'm really confused over these Optech sling straps..... my original Canon strap gives me neck ache and has to go?

Looking at this on Ebay - Click Me - and I'm not sure if this is what I need. I'm after a sling so the camera is across one shoulder as per the image on the item for sale but the wording confuses me and I want to be sure I get what I need.

Does this include the strap, padding and connectors to attach the camera, I've read it a dozen times and I'm still not sure?

If anyone has a link to a web site that can clarify this or even better sell these Optech straps, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
    Alan

Canon EOS 7D MK II, Canon 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 55-250mm STM.

Aim in life, to learn something new every day.

Re: Optech Camera Sling

Hi Alan,

I can't comment on the Optech, other than it's cheaper than the Blackrapid RS7. Have a look at the Blackrapid site. These straps aren't cheap but I can guarantee they're good.

TTFN,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Alan, check out the OpTech website, that should give you all the info you need!

Usually you'll need to purchase the standard strap, and a sling adapter, plus either the pro-loop or 3/8" connectors.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Blackrapid
        David

Comment

Thanks for the replies, been on the Optech site and its still not clear. :-(

On the other hand the Black Rapid site is crystal clear and you can buy all you need in one hit. Not sure the Optech purchasing method of bits is ideal for me, I guess I am easily confused.

Looks like Black Rapid is for me, found Camarthen Cameras selling them for £40 delivered.
          Alan

Comment

I went for the Black Rapid sling as I wasn't sure about putting all the load of the camera / lens on a single camera clip on the top of the camera of this system compared to the Black rapid tripod screw fixing and more robust metal linkage. For conventional neck straps I would agree you can't beat the Optech systems

Comment

Another vote for the black rapid RS7, I also stuck a joey 3 pouch on, just right for iPhone, battery, mem card, and a bit of cash if popping out light.
              Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

There are pros and cons for the Optech and Black rapid straps and I prefer the Optech. I have looked at the Black rapid strap and I find that it's unusual method of carrying the camera via the tripod hole completely puts me off. I am one,due to health considerations,who is keen on the easiest and lightest method of carrying my camera but the Black rapid method is not for me. I also now use my tripod on and off for landscapes and interior pictures and with the Black rapid strap the tripod hole is engaged otherwise. I also do not like to leave my camera unsupported (I prefer it around my neck) when I am setting up my tripod, quick release plate etc.

Having given my reasons for choosing the Optech which is very comfortable around my neck, members are free to choose the strap that best suits/fits their needs. It is good to have this "choice".
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat makes some very valid points. Like anything you 'wear' (Camera straps, Camera bags, etc etc) you need to try before you buy if you can and be prepared to 'file' one if it is unsuitable. I tried a few and opted for Op/Tech.

<OffTopic>But I've yet to find a camera backpack as comfy as my Osprey walking pack for carrying loads for > 6 hours. My LowePros soon get tedious.</OffTopic>

Comment

This is the one I made myself. It adjusts long enough so that I can swing the camera behind my back and it can sit in the small of my back, out of the way when needed.
                    Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

I love the Op/tech, it does exactly what it says on the box.
                      I would chose the Op/tech Pro Loop.
                      Available on eBay HERE at a great price.

Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

OK, thank for the replies and all the advice.

After watching umpteen videos on YouTube on Optech and Black Rapid slings I went for the Black Rapid RS4. It arrived this morning and although quite pricey at £40 delivered it is extremely good quality and does exactly what it is supposed to.

The camera hangs from the tripod mount and is therefore upside down when hanging, I thought this might be an issue but alas it feels natural and also secure, the quality of the screw and shackle method is superb. The strap has clips on it to limit/control the movement/slide of the camera, this works very well and ensures the shoulder pad falls back to its normal place after you let the camera hang after a shot.

Got to say I am extremely impressed after only using it for a short period.

PS. Just found a really neat pocket in which to store my spare memory cards too.... as you can see I am easily impressed.
                        Alan

Comment

amb I am glad you have a sling strap and are happy with it

Comment

The original had to go no matter what, my neck really hurt after a day out with the camera.

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                            amb I am glad you have a sling strap and are happy with it
                            Alan

Comment

I understand that redundant Canon neckstraps sell on Ebay ................. as cheese slicers.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X