Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Screen Loupe

Hi

can anybody recommend a magnifying lcd screen loupe to fit the 5D MkIII ? (3.2")

This is for stills use - I don't video - but I have reverted to manual focus, and so finally found a use for live view :-)

The hoodman is the only one I can find at present - but at over £100 for a piece of plastic - regardless of the "german" lens - they're having a laugh - bit like canon and the price of vertical grips - and how they match the degree of "expensiveness" of the camera they fit . . .

Whilst having a rant - we could do with an eyepiece extender for the MkIII too, Canon :-)

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers

Stuart

Re: LCD Screen Loupe

Stuart, I had a look for one of these a while ago for my 5D3 and the best i could find was the Hoodman 3 Inch LCD Screen Loupe from WEX for £78, not specifically designed for the 5D3 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-h...loupe/p1031516 I am afraid that I didn't buy it so can't tell you if / how well it would work but I do know someone who has one and used it a lot on their 5D2 and have now upgraded to a 5D3 and still uses it.

Comment

eBay USA have something HERE for about £20.00
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi Stuart,
        The most effective way to check focus in live view is to press the 5x and then the 10x zoom button on the back of your EOS camera. You can then steer the area zoomed into to the point of interest using the dials or toggle button on the back. Compare this to trying to just magnify the live screen with a magnifying glass or magnifying loupe and you will find the zoom button method much more effective for checking focus. If its a matter of obscuring bright daylight then if you don't mind looking a bit eccentric you could try covering your head and the back of your camera with some curtain lining daylight blackout cloth which is available for around £3 for two square metres.You may look a bit bonkers to any onlookers but it really works!
        Hope this helps.
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I agree with James 100%. This is exactly what I do when using live view to take my church interior pics. Very effective as I wear glasses and don't wish to be bothered with loupes etc.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I also agree with James and Nathaniel. I use this a lot when using manual focus although find it hard sometimes in difficult lighting situations. I tend to turn the ISO up to maximum then shine available light onto the subject. Using 10x magnifaction you only need the slightest of adjustments. Then just before i take the shot put all settings back to normal and use flash.
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Working...
            X