Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camer bag suggestions please

Hi All,

I currently have a 650D, EF-S 18-55 and EF-S 55-250, along with a few other small items! I am using the bundles gadget bag that Canon were giving away when they launched the camera.

To be honest it's an OK bag but not really big enough. It's a bit awkward getting the camera in and out at times and a bit tight for everything.

Ive been looking at the Lowepro 202AW bag but it's £60! Are there any other similar bags that you guy recommend that are a bit cheaper? I want to get a flash and some other bits so could do with saving some cash!

cheers

Re: Camer bag suggestions please

I have the Lowepro, and find it an excellent bag. When you think how much your kit costs that's going in it, is £60 really that much to shell out for protection? I have put my bag through the wringer, with all my kit in it, and it performs well. Sure, there are much cheaper alternatives, but, I researcherd and tried many, and none had the build quality that the 202AW has (for the price), bar none!

It comes down to how much you value your £700 odds (and rising) worth of kit . I find the bag very user friendly, with excellent sling loading (I have the slingshot version). I have hiked with mine and find it very comfortable, with loads of space for all the gear you'd need for a day trip.

Just my tuppenceworth!

Garry

PS Welcome to the forum!!
    Last edited by digiman; 10-05-2013, 19:01.
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

A thumbs up for Lowepro here too, I only have the 180, but the quality is very good.
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I am planning a big trip in October, and have bought a Lowepro fastback. A split rucksack, camera gear at the bottom and a smallish top compartment for a waterproof & a sandwich. It has a padded laptop compartment too.

I've been testing it on some long walks and it is very comfortable to wear, and the side access to the camera works well.

Well worth a look.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

The 650D and 2 lenses do not take up too much space and are quite light-weight.
          Saying that they are quite an investment so a good bag is a sensible and wise investment too.
          Take a look at the Lowepro site (link) and the Tamrac site (link) and weigh up which is most suitable for yourself.
          Some prefer a shoulder bag and others prefer a backpack, it's up to you.
          Hope it helps.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I travel a lot and have the Fast pack 350 which comfortably holds all my needs.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

I have a 190AW which holds most of what's in my signature (well, not the spare body). They're pricey but the quality is second to none. Several years of hard use and the only fault is the plastic Lowepro badge has fallen off. Highly recommended.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I had a 170AW which served me very well for many years, taking my 350D, then 30D, then 50D plus kit and telephoto lenses and other bits n bobs. Having just got a 7D and new lens I had to upsize, but only needed to go to a 180AW. This takes my body and all lenses comfortably plus hoods, filters, batteries etc but also fits into the bottom of my backpack when I'm travelling.
                That said, I don't carry my flash as a matter of course (though it would squeeze in at a pinch) and I think I'm the only person on this forum that has a battery grip but doesn't use it.
                As others have said, a good bag is a worthwhile investment.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I have found bag buying really tricky, as I can never decide what is most important to me. It's such a personal choice, it's difficult to advise. Lowepro are an excellent make, and if you've already singled out the one for you, and people on here endorse it, you're probably sorted.

I think the Lowepro WWW (in Stephen's entry above), has a 'bag finder' button, where you put in what kit you have, and what you're looking for, and you are presented with the bags that match.

I just bought a BBK-4, for the odd day trip out, for when I want a 1-shoulder bag. Removable camera inserts (so I have a 'normal bag' if I want), and it's hand luggage size on planes, too. £24. Nice little bag.

Hope you find what you want!

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

With nothing other to do than play on the internet I found the trends rucksack at Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...t%3ETRENDZ.htm (first link on a tablet. I apologise if it doesn't work.)

It has the rucksack look with a side opening and a fastening for a tripod at the side. Not got one but the reviews look good. If your near a store you can always go in and look. Came back to add more photos on proper site, link no working right.

Hope you find some thing that works for you.
                    Last edited by DeeGee; 11-05-2013, 10:43.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

I'd suggest looking at one of these:

(KataNimble-3 DL)
                      But throw away the non-grippy shoulder-pad and get one of:

(Tatonka Shoulder Pad 50mm - 25 x 6 cm, Black)
                      As it's a very light bag and Amazon are selling it at a silly price. I may go buy a second one before they sell out...

(I love my ThinkTank Retrospective 5 Pinestone bag, but it adds quite a bit of weight, with the Kata bag I can carry an extra lens and still be carrying less weight.)
                      Last edited by DrJon; 11-05-2013, 10:43.

Comment

Thanks all for your help! I think I'll just got for the Lowepro one. Hopefully it will last a long time!

Comment

You wont be dissapointed
                          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X