BGEE7 GRIP FOR 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGEE7 GRIP FOR 7D

Hi guys this is my first post wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this,my present set up involves 7D with either 300mm L F4 IS with 1.4 mk one convertor or 400mmL f5.6.Was considering purchase used grip but here is the problem with 300mmL/convertor on 7D does feel heavy.Must admit although shooting birds still do not have the volume of shots suppose like most people,also as you can see see do not have super tele lense.Having used one with previous gear do like the feel /look of them now in my declining years[best way can put it if you get my drift] weight becomes paramount. However would be interested in any response you guys had the time to come up with.
    George.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: BGEE7 GRIP FOR 7D

I'm bit of poor relation in equipment terms as I'm using Tamron 70-300 which is yielding some good result though.

On my 60D I felt the balance wasn't quite right till I added battery grip, well worth the extra bit of weight.

Oh, and welcome to forum as well.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi George, and welcome to the forum!

I'm a 7D user too, and I tried a battery grip in the shop - didn't buy it. The 7D is, IMHO a big enough camera without it, so for me there was not much cost-benefit. I primarily use my 7D with a 70-300 L (reasonably weighty), and I have no issues. I'll state here that I don't have huge hands, and someone who does may disagree with me here!

I do use a battery grip on my 550D, because the 550D is a smaller camera, and the addition of the grip makes the heavier/longer lenses feel more balanced. Also, I use the 550D if I do portraits, and the extra buttons are very useful.

As I see it, the main benefits of a grip are (1) better balance with bigger lenses, (2) buttons for portrait mode and (3) extended shooting (2 batteries in grip, not 1).
      Point (1) I've covered, point (3) isn't that relevant, as the 7D battery life is very good.

So, ask yourself 2 questions... "Will I do much portrait shooting, thus need the extra buttons?", and "Do I have HUGE hands?" :smile: If the answer to either is 'yes', go to a friendly camera shop (there aren't many left!) and ask to try a grip.

Hope that helps.

All the best, Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Think Mikes post really makes the point that you'll probably have to try and see if it suits you.

Personally like the extra buttons, bigger grip and the extended battery life.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Many thanks antoeknee/Mike for feed back some interesting points.Mike a quite a precise and structured feedback which links together the problems with grips especially with weight where camera bodies like 7d which are quite heavy themselves.Must admit camera retailers in my area closing one after another,seems like internet has helped them along the way.However once again many thanks to both of you .
          Regards George.
          CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

I'm bit of poor relation in equipment terms as I'm using Tamron 70-300 which is yielding some good result though.

On my 60D I felt the balance wasn't quite right till I added battery grip, well worth the extra bit of weight.
            Ditto, nice bit of advice on the battery grip Antoeknee, I've been thinking of selling my grip as I don't really use it. I'm going to give it a go with my Tamron.

And welcome to the forum from me also George.

TomB
            Am I qualified to comment on others!

Canon EOS-60D - EF 24-105mm f4
            L IS USM - Tamron Adaptall2 500mm f/8 with 2x converter - Meike Speedlight MK950 - LEE Filters: professional kit, ND Grad (hard) .3 .6 .9, Coral 4 hard grad & cir-pol 105 - CarrySpeed sling.

Tom Bennett Photography on Flickr

Comment

Hi Tom many thanks for responce good luck with your grip/ tamron lens
              George

Comment

Hello George, and welcome to the forum.

Mike is correct.
                The 7D is quite a heavy camera (850g) and large lenses are quite nicely balanced.
                The 500D, 550D, 600D etc,, are very light cameras (200+g lighter than the 7D) and adding a grip gives added weight and a better balance when using large lenses.
                The 7D battery (LP-E6) has excellent battery life.
                I have never needed to add a grip to my 7D.
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi Stephen many thanks for feedback sitting on the fence as it were at the moment,had a grip on a previous set up which was fairly light weight.Have been tempted to obtain as seems one or two about which are quite keen in price,visit the WILDFOWL WETLANDS CENTRE which is quite close by.This is where the weight aspect comes in trekking around it,must say appreciate you guys pitching in.
                  George.

Comment

Hi again George, weight is an issue for me too. One of my best investments was to ditch the Canon strap and get a weight reducing neoprene strap.
                    I use the Op/tech Pro loop strap (I prefer black). This really does help with the weight issue.
                    Op/Tech Home Page
                    These straps are available from £14 -£20 from may places including eBay.
                    Well worth the investment.

Hope it helps

flickr

Comment

Hi Stephen this could be the answer sir have checked around on net ordered one from a company called PREMIER INK have used them many times in the past for small items excellent service.Ordered the same one as you have,got it for £15.99 plus postage.Looking forward to taking delivery.
                      Thank you for your tip re Op/tech Stephen
                      Regards George.

Comment

Another vote for the Optech strap, I've found this very comfortable.

Re the battery grip I think if you do manage to try one I think you'll find the real benefit comes where the camera rests against the heel of your hand.

Comment

George, not much to add to what has already been said, but for what it is worth, I have a battery grip for my 7D and it sits in the cupboard un-used. To be fair, my lenses are not as large as yours (I wish...) but I've never felt the need to increase the size/weight of my camera. I've also never had a problem with battery life, except on the rare occasions I've used Live View. I quite like the fact that my camera and all lenses fit into a reasonably small bag, and therefore I just grab and go and know I've always got almost everything I own to hand.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Optech/Strap arrived fitted straight onto 7d body after fiddling about with getting strap through lug on body,good lady wife took over mission was then achieved [they come in handy at times]So although not actually used in the field yet first impression great can feel the difference,looking out of kitchen window with 300L IS on it feels great.Thanks again stephen for pointing me towards that.Will proceed and get used to using it and will sit on the fence re BGE7 grip for now.Many thanks everyone for input.
                            George.

Comment

Well done George, the Op/Tech strap is a superb product.
                              Glad to of been of help; this is what this forum is excellent for.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X