B+W Filter - No Green Hologram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B+W Filter - No Green Hologram

I've just received a new 77mm MRC Nano XS-PRO UV Filter and the box doesn't have the usual B+W/Genuine Product green hologram. Instead it has a silver hologram on the left side of the box which says Schneider Kreuznach on it and underneath that it says 9FFQ3T.

Should I be concerned? I know Schneider is B+W but all my other filters have the green B+W hologram and I haven't seen anything online about this changing. All product photos show the green hologram too. It might be my imagination but the black box doesn't look quite as black as it normally does as well...but I'm at work at the moment so can't check this for sure against my other XS-PRO ones. The filter itself seems to look about right, but I'm always paranoid about receiving one of the dreaded fakes that are always floating about.
    Canon 5D Mark III | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 1-5x Macro Photo | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

Re: B+W Filter - No Green Hologram

My guess is that it's just a new packaging; probably with a view to pushing the 'group' name rather than a single brand name.

Where did you buy it from? If it's a trusted retailer, query it with them, and see what they say. If you're not satisfied, return it for a refund and go elsewhere; but my guess is it's OK.

Lee
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
      My guess is that it's just a new packaging; probably with a view to pushing the 'group' name rather than a single brand name.

Where did you buy it from? If it's a trusted retailer, query it with them, and see what they say. If you're not satisfied, return it for a refund and go elsewhere; but my guess is it's OK.

Lee
      Yeah it could very well be just a new hologram that they are doing now I guess.
      I got it from Fotosense. Not used them before so don't really know how trustworthy they are.
      Canon 5D Mark III | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 1-5x Macro Photo | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

Comment

I've had replies regarding this on another photography forum now and some others have the same new hologram on their recent B+W filter packaging so it does indeed seem likely that it's just an updated thing from Schneider/B+W. I've checked the filter out more now I'm home and it seems perfect, normal B+W quality.

I wonder if it's to do with it being the 100th Anniversary of the Schneider Kreuznach company as their website highlights.

Comment

OK I emailed Schneider/B+W in Germany and I just got an email back from them. Everythings cool :)

They confirmed that they've recently changed the hologram from the square green one to this new silver one on the side of their boxes. They even attached a PDF doc explaining the change and new hologram spec. Looks like they have plans to at some point make the characters that show on the lower part of it to be traceable online to confirm authenticity.

Anyway there you go. Hopefully this thread and info will help others out who have the same concerns as I did.

Comment

Working...
          X