Rucksack dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rucksack dilemma

I need to get a rucksack for camera kit when travelling.
    Camera wise this is a minimum of 70D with 18-135mm lens, EF-S 60mm macro lens or EF 70-300mm lens, charger and leads, maybe 430ex flash as well.
    But I also need to be able to carry my iPad, kindle, Bose headphones, chargers/leads and on occasion a laptop as well.
    And preferably with room for a few small additional/unexpected items.

Firstly am I being unrealistic?

Having said all that I have looked at the following bags and wondered if anyone had any comments...
    Kata 3N1-33 DL Sling Backpack
    Kata DR-467 DL
    ThinkTank Airport Commuter Camera Backpack

The other basic requirement I have not mentioned is it should be suitable as hand baggage for flights.
    Andy

Re: Rucksack dilemma

I don't think you're being unrealistic at all. I don't have a backpack which can take a tablet/laptop (I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW which is plenty big enough for the gear you mention, with the exception of the laptop) but I'm sure there are ones available. I do have two pieces of advice though.

Avoid the sling backpacks. As you load them up you need good support, and the sling-packs I've tried just don't offer the all-round support of a dedicated backpack.

Secondly, whilst cabin-baggage-sized sounds a good idea (and realistically all but the largest backpacks will be within the maximum dimensions) you do have to be wary of weight restrictions which is a measly 5kg with a lot of airlines. My 'pack weighs in at around 8kg with a gripped body, three lenses, chargers, leads, batteries, cards and other "essential" bits and pieces.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

you will get more answers than you can shake stick at on this subject. Camera bags are very subjective and are like womens shoes. You should get all you desribed into a Tamrac Expedition 5 or 6 Check that youre lap top will fit tho. Its built like a tank, very well made and extremely comfortable even for a whole day - love mine

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
        you will get more answers than you can shake stick at on this subject. Camera bags are very subjective and are like womens shoes. You should get all you desribed into a Tamrac Expedition 5 or 6 Check that youre lap top will fit tho. Its built like a tank, very well made and extremely comfortable even for a whole day - love mine
        Thanks I will add that to my list to checkout further.
        The main thing is I dont want a bag that just hold cameras stuff, I need one with good space for other items.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
          I don't think you're being unrealistic at all. I don't have a backpack which can take a tablet/laptop (I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW which is plenty big enough for the gear you mention, with the exception of the laptop) but I'm sure there are ones available. I do have two pieces of advice though.

Avoid the sling backpacks. As you load them up you need good support, and the sling-packs I've tried just don't offer the all-round support of a dedicated backpack.

Secondly, whilst cabin-baggage-sized sounds a good idea (and realistically all but the largest backpacks will be within the maximum dimensions) you do have to be wary of weight restrictions which is a measly 5kg with a lot of airlines. My 'pack weighs in at around 8kg with a gripped body, three lenses, chargers, leads, batteries, cards and other "essential" bits and pieces.
          Thanks for the info, and I appreciate the comments.
          Unfortunately I need to be cabin baggage size as sometime my hold baggage is close to limit due to work equipment. But it will focus me on being as lean as possible on what I take!
          Andy

Comment

You mention "Hold" baggage, my tip for what its worth is never ever put camera gear in the hold, it stands a very good chance of getting damaged.

I have a Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack and It hold just about all my camera needs as well as my laptop.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

I recently purchased the Kata 3N1-25 PL (- the PL bit is important as I found the DL version too small). i used this for carry on baggage to and from Canada and within Canada on a recent vacation. I had packed 1D MkIII, 24-105 lens, 17-40 lens, 75-300 lens, 580 flash, MAcbook Air (11 inch) and various odds and ends. Had no problem getting it on board. It also proved to be very comfortable all day long.
              Certainly worth a look.

Gelert

Comment

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 which I have used as carry-on luggage a couple of times, even though it looks pretty big it is within the acceptable size. It has a lap-top pocket, but only for smaller screens (mine is a 12 inch Sony, I think the Expedition 6 takes bigger, but I'm not sure if that is still within size limitations). My 5 easily takes my 30D with grip and 15-85. 10-20, 70-300, 90 macro, 580 flash and all the associated filters, cables etc. I've tried it with my Sigma 150=500 on the camera and it just about fits !
                John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I find sling bags good for light weights but painful for heavy weights
                  ef-r

Comment

I've got a Fastpack 250 which I no longer use. You may prefer something else but I'd agree with Ian that it would fit all your stuff. I carried in it a 6D, 24-105, 70-300L and a 50mm siggy and or yognuo flash (bit of a squeeze all of it together). The laptop compartment (I think I read somewhere) struggles with some 15" lappies. I only have an 11" netbook and that and a kindle and some A4 papers fit in it ok. The top pocket will fit Bose QC 15's in their case easily with a bit of space. Cables I tend to throw in the hold apart from the laptop power and a usb for my phone. I used it on several flights as hand luggage without problem.
                    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
                    X