Lithium Batteries and Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium Batteries and Travel

With all the current Health and Safety 'panic' about the safety of Lithium batteries, e.g. worldwide grounded airliners and new Post Office Regulations about sending batteries through the post, has any Forum member experienced a problem with airport security or customs officers when travelling overseas with their Lithium powered Canon cameras?
    Quentin

Re: Lithium Batteries and Travel

Not as yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Interestingly when I last flew the list of prohibited hold-baggage items included batteries!!

I did however pack my spares in both hold and hand baggage and wasn't stopped (unlike my daughter who was stopped smuggling deodorant in her hand baggage).
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I haven't (yet!) experienced any problems; but there are regulations concerning carrying batteries on-board that I adhere to - just in case...

Basically, they require that Li-ion batteries be isolated from each other so that the contacts can't come into contact!

I carry mine in a 'Think Tank' battery holder with the battery plates attached that I bought from SpeedGraphic. See here... along with a 'Pixel Pocket Rocket' for my CF cards...

Failing that; just wrap them up separately from each other in something like a small sandwich bag!

HTH...

Lee
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks for the tip Lee. Do you know what they mean by the Pro model of the battery holder? It says that it holds 2 of the 'large batteries used by pro cameras', but the 'ordinary' holders illustrate 2, and 4, batteries of a type which I recognise as Canon pro batteries.
          Quentin

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. My problem is that as well as the long haul flights I am about to undertake I shall also be flying short haul on several flights in Oz, and the last thing I want is to 'lose' my batteries by confiscation by over zealous officials. In my experience the Ozs are much better than UK at such things, but they are also 'hotter' on enforcing their regulations. And replacement batteries in OZ are bound to be more expensive too!
            Quentin

Comment

Hi Quentin,

We had a recent visit from one of our friends from when we lived in Brisbane and he told us that as they (state of Queensland) are tightening their belts after years of budgetary overspends, some of the over zealousness has been lowered a tad - at least at Brisbane airport.

Scott
              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                Thanks for the tip Lee. Do you know what they mean by the Pro model of the battery holder? It says that it holds 2 of the 'large batteries used by pro cameras', but the 'ordinary' holders illustrate 2, and 4, batteries of a type which I recognise as Canon pro batteries.
                Quentin
                Here is the 'Pro' version from the Think tank website... It is indeed designed for the larger 1DX batteries, so nowhere near as good as the 'regular' 4-slot holder for us mere mortals that 1D users look down on :-)

I'm sure that there couldn't be any question about 'safety' if you use one of these, moreso if you also ensure that the battery plates remain attached to the batteries while in the holder!

Cheers;

Lee
                Cheers;
                Lee
                5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks again to Scott and Lee.
                  I shall be passing through Brisbane Airport twice during the trip, so shall let you know how I get on!
                  I have checked the Qantas website today, and lithium batteries are classed as 'dangerous goods' thereon. However, it would appear that you can carry a 'lithium powered camera' with battery in, in either hold luggage or hand luggage, but 'spare' batteries can only be carried in cabin luggage, with a limit of 2 batteries per passenger. There is also a max. limit of 1650Wh capacity, which does not cover the 5D battery, but I will take a chance on that! In all cases you are to 'advise the carrier that you have the batteries in your baggage', presumably at check in/bag drop, but that might just slip my mind.
                  I think I will get 2 x 2 battery Think Tank holders, that way I can carry one and my wife can carry the other one, just in case. Luckily I do have the battery plates for my batteries, so that should be another reassurance for Mr or Mrs Jobsworth!
                  Thanks guys,
                  Quentin

Comment

I have checked the Qantas website today... 'spare' batteries can only be carried in cabin luggage, with a limit of 2 batteries per passenger...
                    JEEZ! Good luck; that wouldn't help me; I carry 1 in-camera plus 3 spares for both myself and my wife! I.e 8 all up!

There is also a max. limit of 1650Wh capacity, which does not cover the 5D battery...
                    I think they must mean mAh - not Wh... My 5D/7D batteries are rated as just 13Wh -but- 1800mAh which might be in breach!!!!!

However, I do have a 'Hahnel' third-party battery that's rated as 11.9Wh -or- 1650mAh; so that might be worth looking at if you're really concerned about Mr. Jobsworth!

As an aside; British Airways site notes only restrictions on batteries of 100Wh and above...

Anyhow; I hope it won't spoil your trip; and hope you enjoy your time in Oz...

Cheers;

Lee
                    Cheers;
                    Lee
                    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

From my experience of domestic flights in Australia they were more concerned about you taking fruit from one area to another, I think, in an effort to control fruit fly migration. I can't recall anyone I knew of having a problem with camera batteries but readily accept that most "normal" folks probably wouldn't have a spare battery outside of the camera. As Lee says hope you have a great trip.

Scott
                      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

It has been about 2 years since I flew into Australia and countries in Asia but I always used to take one battery in the camera and 2 spares but with the original battery covers to protect the contacts from shorting out. I have just come back from the US where we had a number of internal flights plus the 2 international flights from / to the UK.

I have had my bags checked many times in the past and quizzed about food products and asked questions about the type of pictures I takes etc. but so far never been challenged about the batteries, when I travelled on business I would often have a spare battery for my mobile phone and gnat certainly never had a battery cover to protect the terminals, I just put it in a fabric pocket of my travel bag and all batteries were contained in hand luggage.

i hope you have a good trip and no issues with customs.

Comment

Thanks again everyone, I have ordered up a couple of Think Tank holders, and will play dumb/ hope for the best!
                          I think recent 'incidents' with Lithium batteries, coupled with the Royal Mail banning them from the postal system regardless, MAY make some officials a little more diligent in checking. The restrictions on Qantas flights are buried in the 'small print', but are there, so if any official does get awkward then you are on a hiding to nothing. I guess many other airlines will have similar buried in their small print too, so worth checking before carrying these expensive batteries on long trips.
                          I will report back on this issue when I return in December.
                          Quentin

Comment

I have followed this thread with interest and three questions come to mind (i) Should you remove your battery from the camera and keep it separately when flying? (2) since Royal mail has banned sending batteries by post, how does one buy batteries from say the 7 day shop?(3) where does one buy spare covers to protect the contact points on camera batteries- DSLR and compact cameras?

Thanks
                            Nathaniel
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat
                              1. Qantas allow one battery to remain in the camera, plus the spares as above.
                              2. Many retailers are using various courier services instead of Royal Mail, some always have. I don't know about 7day shop, but they are presumably aware. Yet another nail in the coffin of Royal Mail!
                              3. Sorry, I don't know, but someone will do.
                              Quentin

Comment

Working...
                              X