Don't buy one of these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't buy one of these

I thought I'd try a cheap replacement LP-E6 battery and bought a "Blue-max" one for just £20.00. The second time I charged it up I could not get a steady light on the charger - hence not fully charged! I left it for further charging - 12 hours in fact, but still no joy.
    I've bought a Hahnel one in the past for £30.00 and that is fine, just ordered another from WEX.

P.S. That should be "Blumax"
    Last edited by collywobbles; 08-10-2013, 12:18.

Re: Don't buy one of these

Ahem! You could also have bought them from the EOS Magazine shop - support the magazine and help to maintain this free forum.

Just a thought.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

All mine were £8 for two of ebay. At 2500mAh they're double the capacity of the canon ones. Never had a problem with them.

Comment

I've been using Blue-Max batteries in the 20D for years and I have a Blue-Max charger as well - not have a problem with either - apart from trying to charge the Blue-Max batteries in a Canon charger - it just doesn't work!
        Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I have two Hahnel HL-E6 batteries and cannot get them to charge beyond halfway no matter how long I leave them in the canon charger. Actually furious with it lol. Canon only for me from now on.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            I have two Hahnel HL-E6 batteries and cannot get them to charge beyond halfway no matter how long I leave them in the canon charger. Actually furious with it lol. Canon only for me from now on.
            Paul - are you sure it is the battery and not the charger ? I recall that in my 300D days the battery eventually started to not retain charge so I bought a 3rd party make replacement battery which came with a non-Canon charger. This charger charged the original Canon battery much better than the Canon charger.

Scott
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anderson.council View Post
              Paul - are you sure it is the battery and not the charger ? I recall that in my 300D days the battery eventually started to not retain charge so I bought a 3rd party make replacement battery which came with a non-Canon charger. This charger charged the original Canon battery much better than the Canon charger.

Scott
              Both batteries were bought last week from Jessops as I had a wedding on Sat. Reported only half charge in the camera, so I popped them on to charge. 12 hours later still an orange flashing light and no change to the report in camera. I'm going to get the official Hahnel charger though to see how that goes.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Some of the latest Canon charges are very fickle about what they charge! That could be the reason for the "half-charge" scenario as they're not actually being charged at all. When you insert a battery the charger detects the current state of charge (blinking LED), and then commences a charge cycle based on the charge state (one, two, or three flashes). With older or incorrectly chipped batteries the charger doesn't report a charge level, and thus doesn't commence charging.

I have two Canon chargers, along with a variety of batteries. The newer charger won't charge the older batteries, but the old charger is fine with them.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                  Ahem! You could also have bought them from the EOS Magazine shop - support the magazine and help to maintain this free forum.

Just a thought.
                  I suppose I could, if I wanted to pay an extra £5.95! - but as I was ordering something else at the same time I "killed two birds with one stone"

And I support the EOS- Magazine by having it on Direct-Debit.

Comment

Judging by this service advisory it seems that perhaps Canon have been a little over zealous in their newest charger's detection of "counterfeit" cells, which is causing problems with originals too!
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                    X