Suggestions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions please!

HELP. Recently fitted an expensive circular filter (Hoya Pro 1 range) to the filter adapter for my G series compact. When I came to separate the 2 the filter will not budge and unscrew. I have tried everything I can think of, including a pair of 'filter wrenches' from Speed Graphic, but they are totally 'welded' together.
    It is not the first time that I have had a problem with circular filters 'jamming', the threads are not crossed, and were not overtightened in my opinion. As a retired engineer I have always managed to separate them in the past, by hook or by crook, but this time I am beaten!
    Any fresh ideas please?
    Quentin

Re: Suggestions please!

Try undoing it by hand but wearing a yellow kitchen glove - more grip - it may work !
    Best of luck
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Yes, try the Marigolds first (if you know where to find them ;0)). Alternatively, try one of those thick elastic bands around the filter and twist.
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

The elastic band trick, has worked for me in the past.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Try standing the lens (with the lens cap) filter down, on a warm radiator. It should expand the filter ring enough to loosen it. Another engineer's trick.

Ian
          Ian

Comment

Stand the lens, filter down onto your mouse mat and turn the lens. Worked for me :)
            The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

I'd go with the heating up the components
              Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Thanks for the many suggestions above!
                I had tried the heating method, and the gripping with gloves, plus a pair of grippers which are sold for opening jars for arthritis sufferers, all with out success.
                So, I resorted to a 'real engineer's solution'. Mounted the adaptor ring in a large machine vice, used an old small screwdriver as a 'cold chisel' tapped with a hefty claw hammer in the ridges of the filter rim, and hey presto, the filter turned - success! The only damage to both was some light cosmetic damage to the filter rim, soon sorted by the application of some matt black paint to the rim.
                The old ways sometimes (often?) work, when all modern gadgets fail.
                Thanks again folks.
                Quentin

Comment

Too late to help but I'm glad you got it sorted and taking a hammer and chisel to a delicate camera displays a level of determination so rare these days it's to be applauded!

I'm guessing the polaroid part just rotated when trying to unscrew the filter body and, if so, what I've found works is pressing the filter hard with the palm of my hand then turning. This locks the polaroid part in place yet still allows the filter to unscrew.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X