Tripod or extension arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod or extension arm

I presently own a camlink tpcarbon28 tripod and as it goes is a nice tripod ,which I don`t use much but since I`m planning of shooting more macro I`m wondering if I`d be better off buying a more suitable tripod (if such an animal exists) or getting an extension arm which is probably the cheaper option but I`m not averse to spending money on another tripod , so the question is what decent tripods are around for my budget of £180.00, thanks Harvey

Re: Tripod or extension arm

The TPCarbon isn't a bad tripod, I have one too and whilst it's a little clunky and heavy for a carbon 'pod, it does everything you really need bar having an articulated centre column. I also have an aluminium tripod with an articulated column, but I rarely use it in anything but the normal position because it is just not stable unless the camera is close to the centre-line or I counterbalance the camera using a heavy beanbag on the opposite end of the column. You're also limited in how much you can angle the column by the limitations of the head to keep the camera level. At anything below horizontal you have to hang the camera below the column, so you may as well just have reversed the column in its normal position. As you can see, I'm not enamoured by articulated columns!

I think you'd be better off sticking with what you have and using either the stubby centre shaft to get low, reverse the column and work upside down, or set your subject within the tripod legs on a small table as I don't think you'll realise much improvement for a significant outlay.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did wonder about the balance side of things as my 1d mk2 isn`t a light camera also it was for use outside for taking shots of mushrooms etc where I would need a bit more reach.

Comment

I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB which has a centre column which quickly adjusts from vertical to horizontal for low level macro. the 055XPROB is similar but more sturdy. To be honest though, unless its shooting fungi, I rarely use a tripod, much prefer to hand hold as often the tripod is too restricting and for stuff like insects etc by the time you have set up the pod the subject is long gone

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, tbh it`s mainly for fungi shots and occasional indoor shooting which the reason for looking at the velbon v4 boom, Harvey

Comment

Working...
          X