Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bag for 300f2.8 attached to body and with the hood on ready to use to photograph ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bag for 300f2.8 attached to body and with the hood on ready to use to photograph ??

Hi,
    can anyone with a 300 f2.8 recommend a bag for it while its attached to a 1 series or 5d body while also having the hood attached (so its ready to use to take photos's) I want to be able to store it in the bag lens upwards rather than lens down, or, horizontally, and so when removed from the bag its instantly ready to photograph with.

The Lens Trekker 600 looks to have the camera/lens pointing downwards so that rules that one out

Many thanks
    colin

Re: bag for 300f2.8 attached to body and with the hood on ready to use to photograph

Originally posted by colintf View Post
    Hi,
    can anyone with a 300 f2.8 recommend a bag for it while its attached to a 1 series or 5d body while also having the hood attached (so its ready to use to take photos's) I want to be able to store it in the bag lens upwards rather than lens down, or, horizontally, and so when removed from the bag its instantly ready to photograph with.

The Lens Trekker 600 looks to have the camera/lens pointing downwards so that rules that one out

Many thanks
    colin
    Yes, mine :)
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Re: bag for 300f2.8 attached to body and with the hood on ready to use to photograph

Hi Colin - I use a Tamrac Supertelephoto backpack to carry my 1DX attached to my 600mmMKII + 1.4xMKII so it is ready to use - they fit with the lens hood reversed. It takes about 20 seconds to remove the combination form the bag and fasten the hood the right way round. I also use it to carry the 1DX + 300MKII with lens hood fitted. The lenses do point down but there is a large padded collar to support the camera body and velcro straps to keep the body and lens in place. I looked at the LowePro Lens Trekker - it was too big to take as carry on onto an aircraft - also the Think Tank - Glass Taxi and Limo but they couldn't fit the 1DX + 600 + 1.4x ready to use - they will probably be OK with the 300. The 1DX + 300 will fit with hood attached (not reversed) into my ThinkTank Airport Acceleration.

I have used the Tamrac for a year and often spend a long day carrying it - e.g. the Red Deer day I did 2 weeks ago - it is comfortable to wear.

The Tamrac is small enough length wise to take as carry on.

I don't see or have heard of any problem in carrying the body and lens pointing down - have you had a problem?

Regards John

Comment

Thanks John
        All I was thinking with carrying it with the lens pointing down with the hood in place is that if at the end of a long day you put the bag down not so carefully it's the hood (in its photographing position not storage position) that takes any impact and I guess that's the weakest part of the body and lens combination
        Cheers
        Colin

Comment

Hi Colin - I take your point - the Tamrac, LowePro and ThinkTank long lens bags all have very stiff bases and sides plus well padded bases to prevent damage. I sue a Lenscoat Hoodie as extra protection on the end of the lens hood.

Regards John

Comment

Thanks John
            Cheers
            Colin

Comment

i have a big old tenba back pack ,bit heavy but swallows tons of gear .some of the older bags (pre-ryanair ) are best ,as they were made to carry LOTS of gear comfortably to

Comment

Many thanks :)

Comment

Working...
                X