Bag recommendations please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag recommendations please!

I would like a bag to take my camera body with 70-200L attached, and perhaps storage for a small prime. I am very happy with my lowepro 202w, but want something smaller for occasional use.
    Thanks in advance,
    Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Bag recommendations please!

I bought the lowepro toploader Pro 75 which takes my gripped 5Dmk3 with 100-400 but not knowing the 70-200 i do not know if you could get another lens in with it

Alan

Comment

Cheers Alan. I pretty much narrower it down to the pro75, but thought I'd see what others thought!
      Thanks again,
      Garry

Comment

If you want just a shoulder bag (as opposed to a backpack), look no further than Billingham, which I have used with confidence for nearly 30 years. I recently bought the 207, see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1UMP...cm_cr_rdp_perm or if that is too small, the 335.
        Gary
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

Cheers Gary. I have a Lowepro 202aw which I am happy with, and would probably carry around the same as what you are suggesting. I am looking for something a little more compact, for hiking etc. I like your review by the way. Really informative and useful. Cheers.

Comment

Does any one know how to calculate duty on buying items from USA etc. I have seen this on ebay and wondered if I need to be aware of any extra costs involved.

Comment

Sorry Garry no idea how to calculate import duty, I bought mine when I was in USA last year Adorama $54.95 Wex £79 WHY

Alan

Comment

Check out http://www.dutycalculator.com/

It estimates around £6.40 to pay (9.7% duty, 20% VAT), but also be aware that there may be a customs handling charge by the carrier, this could be £1-£10 depending on the carrier.

PS However I've imported stuff from the USA, HK, China etc are have yet to incur any duties (though I have had to pay customs clearance charges once), often it's down to the supplier and what they show on the information label. If the value is minimal, then the parcel may pass straight through without any additional charge being levied.
                Last edited by S_J_P; 30-01-2014, 14:56.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                  Adorama $54.95 Wex £79 WHY

Alan
                  My point exactly!

Cheers Steve. I have also bought stuff from abroad, mainly for my work, and never incurred any charges I wasn't expecting. I just thought it best to do the calculation beforehand, to see if it was worth while should any duties be added. And, I'd say it was worth it still!

Comment

I got the Kata ProLight Minibee, model number KT PL-MB-110.
                    That will hold my 70D with either 70-200mm f2.8 or 100-400mm attached along with other lenses, flash etc.
                    (but not both large lenses!)

Very pleased with it so far.

Edit: Having read your post properly this would be too big I suspect.
                    Last edited by Cyberman; 30-01-2014, 17:46.
                    Andy

Comment

The trouble with camera bags is that I tend to outgrow them. When I had a 30D and a Sigma 18-55 f/2.8, I used a Lowepro Top Loader TLZ 20.

This was still ok when I moved up to a 7D and the same lens.

However, when I bought the 24-105L it was too small, and so I bought The Lowepro Top Loader 50AW.

Now having upgraded again, this time to the 5D Mklll, I find that with the 24-105L attached, it only just fits.

My old Kodak shoulder gadget bag, which had served me well for many years, and has travelled to many places abroad, became far too small for the growing collection of lenses and accessories. So I looked for something bigger, and thought that the Lowepro 190AW would be just right.

However, when I ordered it, I 'ticked' the wrong box, and ordered the 200AW by mistake.

When this arrived, I thought "this is way too big", How wrong I was, because this is now full.

I should add that I don't carry the big shoulder bag around with, just the Top Loader, but if wanted to put the 5D with the 70-300L attached in there, I've got no chance. So, I guess that may mean buying yet another camera bag, to add to the four I already have.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

I imagine camera bags are like handbags, you need a vast selection so you can choose according to the occasion (and outfit) ;)

Small carry bags for family days out, messenger bags for non-photographic trips, small-medium shoulder bags for photoshoots, sling-packs for walks, and backpacks for hiking and long days out. That's not to mention the roller-bag for holidays, the hard-case for storage, and the individual lens pouches/cases which come with some lenses. And all that's not even considering colour-matching them with the outfit you're wearing!
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Hmm!!, I never thought about colour matching them with what I'm wearing.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                            Hmm!!, I never thought about colour matching them with what I'm wearing.

Dave
                            Just wear black Dave :-) that should make it easier to match with a camera bag
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Just imagine if you had to match shoes and hat as well. :smile:
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X