I need to buy a uv filter are there good and bad ones
    many thanks
    Anthony

Re: uv filter

Hello Anthony; welcome to the forum...

Originally posted by anthonyjb View Post
    I need to buy a uv filter are there good and bad ones
    Yes!

There is a constant debate about whether UV filters are useful (or required) or not... 50% say they're good to have on the end... 50% say don't bother! Choose which school you want to be in... (I'm in the 'have on the end' school; mainly as a lens-protector more than anything else...)

Steer clear of the cheap and/or generics... Hoya-PRO and B&W are probably the best rated with Tiffen following a way behind.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I use them on all lenses (except my large telephoto's which are not designed for them).

I understand that sweat from your fingers is acidic and accidentally touching the front element could etch through the lens coating, if not removed immediately. A filter stops that, provides some protection against accidents and is said to reduce UV.

Seems to be good reasons to have one fitted.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

In all my experience with film cameras- Pentax,and canon EOS series, I have always used either a Skylight or UV filter for lens protection. So when I sold my Pentax and associated lenses, the latter were in excellent condition and I got a good price for them. The filters I had were Hoya. Even now all my lenses are protected with Hoya filters. They have not caused any damage to the photographic image.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I only use Hoya Pro 1D filters for all my lenses.

If you pay for a quality lens you need to look after it so dont reduce the quality of the shot by using a cheap filter its just false economy IMO.
          Theses filter's are well worth the money and dont effect to shots.

Slàinte,

Malkie
          Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Working...
          X