Tripod head advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod head advice please

At the moment I have a Velbon Sherpa 450 tripod which has been a very good tool for my photography but I'd like to change the fluid head for a ball head now I've bought the Canon 100-400mm lens I was after, I've found the fluid head handle is a real pain at times and gets in the way of my neck, the only thing I'm not sure about is the size of the thread which holds the fluid head onto my tripod, I wondered if anyone could suggest a good competitively priced ball head with quick release which will screw straight onto my tripod please, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Re: Tripod head advice please

What kind of quick release plates? (I use Arca Swiss, which IMHO is probably the best option.)
    (The cost of plates for all your cameras/lenses can be quite exciting BTW. Well it was for me.)
    Also what's "competitively priced"?
    BTW I recently saw a good review of the Oben BC-139 Ball Head but it isn't sold in the U.K. that I can see.
    Probably around £140-170 imported:

I have an Acratech GP head, but I really can't recommend it at the price, it just moves that little fraction when you tighten it up.
    Last edited by DrJon; 27-02-2014, 18:23.

Comment

I wasn't gonna spend anywhere near that, I suppose I'll have to see if I can find a good second hand head, bit short after buying the Canon lens, thanks for your advice John.

Sean.

Comment

No problem, it's impossible to guess people's budget so I just threw something out there.

There are some decent Giottos ones around, e.g. the MH1312-652 is £69 at Wex or £62 at Amazon.

It might be better get one one without quick release if you are thinking of attaching a variety of stuff to it, as otherwise you probably need to budget for extra quick release plates or allow for the time changing them over.

Comment

Take care with heads - cheap one's don't often cut it, and aim for a rating of at least twice, preferably 3x the actual load you'll apply.

I have a Manfrotto 494 CR2 (4kg capacity) and it really isn't man enough for a DSLR/decent lens. I also bought an award winning (Amateur Photographer 5-star, EISA Best-Product, and various design awards) Vanguard GH-100 Pistol-Head (6kg capacity) which I don't trust. I've also a Camlink 3-Way Pan/Tilt (8kg capacity) which whilst feeling awful is actually very sturdy! My best, most secure, trustworthy, and go-to head is my Manfrotto 410 geared-head though, whilst it has one of the lowest rated capacities (just 5kg) it feels the most secure one I have (and it's the most expensive).

So, after making mistakes three times I hit on something I like - some would say I should have bought something decent to start with....
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Certainly this is one item of gear it doesn't pay to skimp on - if you do, you'll only end up buying a decent one eventually. I get away with a smaller, lighter head for use with my 100-400, but only because I pretty much always use it on a monopod, so it's not so critical; on a tripod, I've a Manfrotto 496 CR4, which is OK.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I've got the Giottos 1311 652 which is also in the first link that Dr Jon mentioned. I think it's good but with the 100-400 you really need to have the plate attached to the lens not the body. I only have the lighter 70-300 and haven't got around to (plus I'm tight) buying the lens tripod ring and it can struggle with the weight with it being so off balance. With my other lenses it's fine.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Thanks for your advice again fellas, once I've got my 7D I'll sort out a new tripod head.

Sean.

Comment

Hi Sean
                  have you tried Redsnapper they're a UK company based in Banbury I have one of their heads and it very strong and sturdy and not silly money, have a look here

Kind Regards
                  Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon, great website mate, they've got some stuff, thanks for the link.

Sean.

Comment

Working...
                    X