Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote SHutter release EOS 6D

Hi Folks,

Am close on pushing the button to getting my 6D purchased. Just wondering what peoples experience are with remote shutter releases and what they would recommend? To start with, i'm just after a standard one really. I'm told I can use an app on my android, but, i'd prefer to use a proper device with the camera.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
    Andy

EOS 6D | 16-35 F/4 | 24-105mm f4L | 50mm F1.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII
    Flickr Page
    Facebook Page

Re: Remote SHutter release EOS 6D

Push that button Andrew!

The 6D's built-in WiFi coupled with Canon's EOS Remote app on the iPhone/iPad/Android is fabulous if you want/need live-view remotely - for instance if the camera is in an inaccessible position either close to the ground or high up or the camera is remote from your location. The app allows to to not only alter the cameras settings but also allows you to refocus remotely. For standard tripod-mounted shots it's overkill though and tends to deplete the batteries quickly (both 'phone and camera) so for standard situations a normal remote release as you suggest is ideal.

I also have a stand-alone wireless remote release, but the batteries run down whilst it's not in use and as they're invariably dead or at the very least unreliable by the time I come to use it, I wouldn't recommend one of these.

The third option is a cabled release, and there are two versions here, a standard basic release and an Intervalometer. The latter allows programming of intervals (delay 'til first shot, shot duration (if in Bulb mode), intervals between shots, and total number of shots) plus it has the features of a basic shutter-release and a shutter lock (for Bulb use), they also usually show elapsed time in Bulb mode and have the facility to beep the seconds as they pass to help you time those long exposures using a 10-stop neutral density filter. Since third-party intervalometers are no more expensive than basic releases I'd recommend going for one of these.

A quick browse of Amazon/eBay/Google will throw up a whole host of similarly styled intervalomenters, mostly based on Canon's expensive TC80-N3 design, but costing <£20 and running from 2xAAA cells which last a lifetime. Make sure you choose the -N3 (not E3 version which has a jack-plug for "consumer" cameras). Yongnuo and Shoot! are brands I have positive experience of, but there are numerous options available.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I use the Canon RS-80N3, which I've had for years, having used it with a 30D, 7D, and now a 5D MKlll.

Yep, being Canon, it was unnecessarily expensive, but it has lasted years.

I believe that the Hahnel is just as good, and cheaper.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Hi Steve..

Really appreciate the indepth reply. I do intend to have a play with the Android app, but, I don't want to rely on that as my main remote shutter.

I did use a simple cable release with my EOS1100D and its been great as I do use bulb mode quite a lot, so I am tending to lean towards your third option of staying with a cable release. I'll have a look at the -N3 option.

On that one, found this one on Amazon..

http://www.bv-electronics.co.uk/6_2/...r#.UzqGAk9OXcs - Just read through the reviews and someone with a 6D reviewed it as doing exactly what it says on the tin, so, that's what i'll go for I think..

Many thanks, appreciate the advice.
        Andy

Flickr Page
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
          I use the Canon RS-80N3, which I've had for years, having used it with a 30D, 7D, and now a 5D MKlll.

Yep, being Canon, it was unnecessarily expensive, but it has lasted years.

I believe that the Hahnel is just as good, and cheaper.

Dave
          Thanks very much, Dave. I'll look at the canon RS unit and Hahnel as well before I ear mark an item.
          Andy

Flickr Page
          Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Andrew

In anticipation of taking lots of shots that required remote release and/or intervalometer functionality and seeing a good comparison review in Photo Plus magazine I bought the Hahnel unit. It does exactly what it says on the tin so from that point of view I can't fault it. The issue I have with it is that is is majorly non-intuitive to use and I'm not using it frequently enough for it to sink in. The instruction sheet helps to a certain extent but I ended up watching the You Tube clip (from their web site) of a guy going through various settings. I should write up my own documentation so I don't have to keep doing this - or get out there and use it more often. This may not be an issue for you though and as I say it does work as advertised.

Scott
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Thanks Scott...Appreciate your thoughts on this. Hopefully I should be fine, being an IT engineer ( not that I ever read an instruction manual ha ha ha ). I think for the money, i'll go for it.

Many thanks

Andrew
              Andy

Flickr Page
              Facebook Page

Comment

The Amazon-linked remote release is a typical canon-clone unit and for £17.99 should serve you well!

There's a big release button (along with a slide-lock for Bulb) for basic shutter-release operations including a half-press to meter and/or focus, and intervalometer setting is simple - press the "Set" button, use the arrows to set the initial Delay, press "Set" again and use the arrows to set your desired Length of exposure (or leave at 0 for camera-controlled shutter speed), "Set" again will move along to Interval where you set the time between subsequent shots, and a final press of "Set" allows you to configure the Number of images to take. The button on the right beneath the display turns the programmed timer mode on/off, and the one on the left turns the backlight on.

As an example, setting the Delay to 1 minute, Length to 30 seconds, Interval to 5 Seconds and Number to 10 will cause the Intervalometer to wait for a minute, then shoot a 30 second exposure, wait for 5 seconds , then shoot another 30 second exposure, then wait fro 5 seconds etc. This will repeat for a total of 10 cycles.

The only thing you need to be wary of, and this is true of all remote releases, is that if you have mirror lock-up enabled to reduce shake then a photo is taken only every second interval or manual shutter-press (the first release merely raises the mirror).
                Last edited by S_J_P; 01-04-2014, 10:51.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                  The Amazon-linked remote release is a typical canon-clone unit and for £17.99 should serve you well!

There's a big release button (along with a slide-lock for Bulb) for basic shutter-release operations including a half-press to meter and/or focus, and intervalometer setting is simple - press the "Set" button, use the arrows to set the initial Delay, press "Set" again and use the arrows to set your desired Length of exposure (or leave at 0 for camera-controlled shutter speed), "Set" again will move along to Interval where you set the time between subsequent shots, and a final press of "Set" allows you to configure the Number of images to take. The button on the right beneath the display turns the programmed timer mode on/off, and the one on the left turns the backlight on.

As an example, setting the Delay to 1 minute, Length to 30 seconds, Interval to 5 Seconds and Number to 10 will cause the Intervalometer to wait for a minute, then shoot a 30 second exposure, wait for 5 seconds , then shoot another 30 second exposure, then wait fro 5 seconds etc. This will repeat for a total of 10 cycles.

The only thing you need to be wary of, and this is true of all remote releases, is that if you have mirror lock-up enabled to reduce shake then a photo is taken only every second interval or manual shutter-press (the first release merely raises the mirror).
                  That's brill. Many thanks for the followup post Steve. Good explanation of the functions on this, it will help me no end. I'll get that ordered today in readiness.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input.
                  Andy

Flickr Page
                  Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                  X