LP-E6 batteries in EOS 6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LP-E6 batteries in EOS 6D

Canon LP-E6 batteries are on hold at Amazon at the moment due to customer complaint that when they got one from Amazon it was 'not as described' so Amazon looking into it.
    I know that you can get the battery elsewhere but has anyone any experience of using reputable third party batteries in a Canon EOS 6D?
    I ask this because my current third party LP-E6 batteries which have been fine in my other models, when inserted into the 6D, generate a message from the camera that the battery is not recognized and do I want to proceed?
    Any thoughts anyone?

Re: LP-E6 batteries in EOS 6D

A little while ago (last autumn I think it was) Canon updated their chargers and firmware to disallow third-party batteries, at the same time they advertised the change as improving battery efficiency and they ran a series of publicity stunts showing the pitfalls if using third party batteries. Since then the manufacturers have updated the batteries and they now work in the 6D again. The last pair I bought both work faultlessly, but both have the same serial number so the battery management features in the camera won't work properly.

Of course, buying original Canon batteries is the best course, as you're guaranteed compatibility, but as far as I'm concerned so long as you stick to a branded third party battery from a reputable source, you're probably buying a product of similar or better quality for a fraction of the price of the genuine Canon item.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve. My non Canon batteries are Blumax so they should be okay but I suppose my main worry is that if my 6D should develop a fault whilst under warranty then Canon might void my warranty because of my use of a non Canon battery.
      I have to say that I never gave this a thought with my other cameras but now I get this message flashing up if I put a Blumax in it makes me a worried man!

Comment

I know many of us are working to tight budgets, some really tight, to support our hobby, but personally I see little point in making a significant outlay for top notch equipment, e.g. Canon cameras, lenses, etc., and then using 'cheap' accessories, whether batteries or memory cards, to save a few pounds. Unless you are taking vast quantities of photos at a time then 1 spare battery and a modest capacity card are all that is needed, and the extra cost of 'quality' items can surely be justified.
        Quentin

Comment

The Canon batteries for my 7D represent 4.86% of the cost of the 7D. A no brainer as far as I am concerned. Genuine Cannon batteries every time.
          David

Comment

Originally posted by pipflash51 View Post
            Canon LP-E6 batteries are on hold at Amazon at the moment due to customer complaint that when they got one from Amazon it was 'not as described' so Amazon looking into it.
            I know that you can get the battery elsewhere but has anyone any experience of using reputable third party batteries in a Canon EOS 6D?
            I ask this because my current third party LP-E6 batteries which have been fine in my other models, when inserted into the 6D, generate a message from the camera that the battery is not recognized and do I want to proceed?
            Any thoughts anyone?
            I have used 3rd party batteries in my previous 60D with no problems. However, I too cannot re-charge them using the 6D battery charger due to the problem mentioned by you. However I have another (canon) battery charger which is used with my 60d and so I re-charge my 3rd party batteries on them and use them in my 6D. I also get the same message which Pipflash has mentioned but I click on "continue" and everything works fine. One must also bear in mind that the EOS shop sells 3rd party batteries for the 6D.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks guys for your thoughts on it and although it does seem a shame that my other batteries, all by very reputable manufacturers, will now be redundant, but yes it is probably better to go for the Canon after all. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X