Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genuine Canon LP-E6 Battery

Can someone clarify for me .......
    I read recently that 'fake' LP-E6 batteries all show 7 digits/letter codes in the camera.

Do some genuine Canon LP-E6 batteries show 7 digits/letters in a camera, and some 8?

I have two 'genuine' batteries, one shows 7 digits, the other 8.
    Both are happy to operate and register in a EOS 5D mk iii with no warning of a non-canon battery on insertion.

I feel certain both are genuine Canon batteries.
    One came with the camera and the other just recently from Amazon.
    Interestingly, it is the one that came with the camera that has the 7 digit serial number!

Re: Genuine Canon LP-E6 Battery

In that case I have to ask where you bought the camera? Was it legitimate Canon UK supplied, or was it from one of the many 'grey importers' which of course includes some of the Amazon suppliers?
    Quentin

Comment

I don't think it's as simple as 7=fake and 8=real, if it were then the manufacturers of third party batteries (they're only really fake if they're being passed off as being genuine Canon) would soon move to 8 digit serial numbers!

I have a couple of Canon battery packs, and they both have 8 digit serial numbers. I also have three third party packs, one of which has 7 digits and won't work in my 6D or it's charger, but works fine in my 60D and charger. The other two have the same 8 digit serial number and they work I both cameras and chargers.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I have two what I believe are genuine batteries. One came with my 7D and the other I bought from LCE in the Strand. Unfortunately you can't rely on getting genuine batteries from Amazon - if you look at the feedback on a lot of their battery sales, many people start out with "I ordered this because it said it was genuine but..." and go on to say the battery that turned up was a third party copy. Fraud IMHO and sellers should be prosecuted.

Anyway, the one in my camera now has a seven digit hex number on show when I look at Battery Info and then select info so I'd say you've been misinformed.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

So it seems then that genuine Canon LP-E6 batteries can have 7 or 8 digit hex numbers, if I understand you right.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

Working...
          X