KOOD CIR 67MM POLARISER FILTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOOD CIR 67MM POLARISER FILTER

Have a 70-300L IS lens thinking along the lines of nature/landscape shots,wondering if to purchase this filter local photo dealer has one £15.00 used.However here is where the dithering bit comes in firstly should a lens of that quality need or take a filter in the first place.Then while appreciate the lens is not exactly a wide angle have noticed on the net is being used as a landscape type lens which shows a constricted view.
    As not into the photoshop tweaking and noticing how this filter was being used,wondered if it would or could work for me attaching to a 40D.
    If anyone has any thoughts on this would appreciate a leg up,so soon after christmas was trying not to purchase another lens.
    Would have to keep removing hood which could be a pain.
    THANKS GEORGE.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: KOOD CIR 67MM POLARISER FILTER

I have a CPL for my 24-105 but hardly use it. I've never used it for wildlife. Wildlife togery you tend to need to have the sun at your back to light your subject, and a CPL won't work in those conditions. It only works when you're 90 degrees to the sun. Unless your subject is being side lit then a CPL won't work.

I tend to find for the most part even in the harshest of light, wildlife just looks good anyway. It's only artificial materials that look rubbish in strong light. The cheaper filters tend to make the image quality worse anyway so I find them pointless. Mine is a B+W pro and it was £165. Some times it's useful but only in small applications.

Keeping the lens hood on is good for retaining contrast
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

I think your not quite understand what a CPL will do - try reading this

as for fitting it onto a zoom, heck yes I used it a few days ago on a 400 and it really pulled the colours out from the sky - my only worry as Paul pointed out is the cost £15 is very cheap even 2nd hand - I also B+W pro but can't remember the cost now, although maybe I'm trying to forget ;o)
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks guys for the prompt responce having watched various you tube films showing the filter in action noted losing approx 2 stops alongside colour saturation.My main worry was would a filter be any good on an L lens especially telephoto.
        While very keen on bird photography would have been looking towards foliage type shots along with landscapes.
        Was wondering about Kood as a filter?
        GEORGE.
        Last edited by mackem george; 05-02-2015, 16:47.
        CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

when you think about it George the new 100-400 zoom has a slot in the hood for CPL adjustment, so really that answers your question
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Cpl is undoubtedly beneficial in the right circumstances, particularly if you are not interested in post processing. Read up on what it does, then you can figure out if it's useful in your application. There's no point in buying anything until you know that it is going to do something good for you and how.
            Paul

Comment

Paul yep spot on done a bit of research on the filter so really it was down to the type of lens the 70-300IS L. As most people are using the wide angles my school of thought was would it be a waste of time on the short tele zoom.
              So this is where dragging my heels wondering if it would work for me and as you rightly say how.
              Many thanks for your prompt reply
              GEORGE.

Comment

In all honesty I haven't used mine in years, but I used to use it on a 70 300 for the improved saturation. Obviously if speed is important then it's going to come with some negative overhead though. You'd probably get better value for money from post processing as a first step to improving your results, in my opinion at least.
                Paul

Comment

Not sure could get into post processing Paul admit not really checked it out.
                  Thanks again
                  GEORGE.

Comment

I'd also be wary of using one below 24mm on FF. Mine just manages to polarize the sky when it fills a third of the frame. Anymore sky and you get a polarized blob as you turn the filter.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

It would be a crop set up Paul but thanks for heads up there.
                      GEORGE.

Comment

Working...
                      X