Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all F1/motor sport togs! What to take to Silverstone? #So excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all F1/motor sport togs! What to take to Silverstone? #So excited!

Well, I have reached the point where, apparently, my life begins! Yesterday was my 40th Birthday! As a fantastic birthday present, my amazing wife, got me a weekend pass to the British Grand Prix! The perfect surprise. We are camping there, so will have 3 full days to play with. I am truly excited, and want to make the most of the experience, whatever the weather! I know there are many experienced racing togs on here, so what do you think I should take?

I will be shooting with my trusty 500, and I do have the 70-200f4. I was possibly thinking of buying a 2x TC. Considering the glass I have, as listed below, do you think this is a wise addition?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, including your experience of locations and where to go whilst there.

As always, thanks in advance for your advice,

Garry

PS Sorry, in my excitement, I put this in here instead of the Sport section. Feel free to move if you wish Admins, Thanks!
    Last edited by digiman; 30-03-2015, 10:22.
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Calling all F1/motor sport togs! What to take to Silverstone? #So excited!

sounds great and look forward to seeing what you get - fingers crossed for the weather

why not treat yourself and hire 200-400 that will give you the extra reach and a flip pull in for the close up action
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hmm, didn't consider hiring. Also didn't think about the fact that I'd lose auto focus with a TC, which, for F1, i think I would miss. If, that is, my old 500 can keep up! Looking at hiring, the 200-400 is a bit pricey, at £327 for 3 days from Lenses For Hire. The 100-400 may be an option though, at £81 for three days. Will definitely look at this as an option,

Cheers Ian,

Garry

Comment

£327! ouch not cheap

I have the 100-400mkII and its a great lens and very at focusing so you'll have no problems panning with that - if it was me I'd defiantly mount it on a tripod then you can just pan and enjoy the moment rather than breaking your arms trying to hold it still all day -
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Ian's comment on hiring kit is spot on.Don't rush into buying a 2x converter, hire a longer lens or two. You could also hire the 2x converter to see how it behaves, but in general AF will be affected and you'll lose some aperture.
          Andy

Comment

Good to have an endorsement of the lens! I was planning on taking my tripod and monopod, then deciding on the day what to use.

Comment

Cheers Andy, looks like the way to go,

Garry

Comment

Sounds and will be fantastic.

I don't think you will get much use out of a tripod (but take anyway)as generally there's too many people about even on practice days.

Silverstone is also not the easiest place to photograph the action due to high fencing and the track having long run off areas so you're along away from the track. (i think David and a few others can give you a better idea where to go for the best advantage spots).

So if you can get hold of a 100-400mm it will come in very handy for the action side of things,that said there's loads of other thing going on around the track that will suit your 70-200mm stalls/pits/brolly Girls and car display areas all make for some great photographic opportunities.

But as you say just take all your gear you can always leave what you don't need in the car.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                  ... on taking my tripod and monopod, then deciding on the day what to use.
                  I have a Tripod that one of the legs unscrews to be used as a monopod. Love it as I only need to carry one piece of gear that has two functions.

Tom

Comment

Cheers guys, appreciate the input so far,

Garry

Comment

Hey Garry,

I don't wish to put a spanner in the works but - I wouldn't bother with a tripod especially race day. There will be thousands of people all trying to get the spots where you can just about lose the fence and race day 'spectator marshals' (read as: jumped up over zeleous little hitlers) will move you on from just about every reasonable spot, and forget about trying to swing a lens around in any of the grandstands..

My honest advice - try with your camera etc on the practice day and then leave it locked in your car for race day and just enjoy the racing and soak up the atmosphere. Silverfence is one of the worst places to shoot at with the larger events, sorry to be a killjoy photowise! You WILL have a superb weekend spectating though and I for one am very jealous.

.DAVID.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post

I don't think you will get much use out of a tripod (but take anyway)as generally there's too many people about even on practice days.

Silverstone is also not the easiest place to photograph the action due to high fencing and the track having long run off areas so you're along away from the track. (i think David and a few others can give you a better idea where to go for the best advantage spots).
                        I would echo Paul's comments. I'm lucky enough to go every year and although I never taken my 'proper' camera, due to entertaining guests, its always full of the general public (LOL) getting in the way. The 70-200 would be my shout if you accept that you probably wont get close to the action. There is always something going on somewhere, assuming it doesn't rain of course!
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I was aware of the fences, just by looking at some images on flickr from various people. Getting some pics during practice and qually is probably a good idea. I don't think I could bring myself to leave my camera in the car on race day mind you! Whether I get any decent shots or not!

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                          .... its always full of the general public (LOL) getting in the way.
                          I'll try to keep out of your way in that case Alan!

Still looking forward to the atmosphere and just being there. If I get any decent images to have as memories, that will be a bonus.

Thanks again,
                          Garry

Comment

Hi Garry,

I live in Buckingham so Silverstone is 10 minutes away. I gave up attempting photos on GP weekend for all the reasons mentioned above. However there is another series that races there - the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) which is a series for the cars that run at Le Mans. The race at Silverstone is 6 hours long on the Sunday with practice/qualifying on Fri/Sat. There are usually a lot less spectators at this event and it is mostly free grandstands so you can get better shots than at F1. The cars have been running hybrid power units for years now - the difference being in the freedom to choose between petrol/diesel, front/rear/both harvesting. It's a great series and they run not that much slower than F1. I have been going every year since we returned from Australia in 2009 and it is a great weekend - gutted I can't make it this year as we are off on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks.

Anyway regarding the places to watch F1 cars ? You must walk round to the Beckett's complex. Probably best to do this for either FP1/FP2. If you start from Copse and walk up the slight rise then stand at the entry point to the first bend the speed of change of direction will blow you away. It is mesmerising to watch. The new Abbey curve (1st corner now) is also pretty good - not sure if you will be able to get in front of the grandstand there on F1 weekend (can't remember) but for WEC it's as if someone is pulling the cars into the corner. Amazing. Anyway if you haven't been before hope you enjoy it and we'll look forward to seeing your efforts here. I might get a Friday ticket this year - missed last year as the previous 2 they sat in the garage for most of FP1 because it was raining and they are only allowed so many tyres.

Cheers
                            Scott
                            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Thanks for that Scott, I appreciate your guidance! I am looking forward to just being there and absorbing the atmosphere. ANY images will be a bonus! I love motorsport, so any racing is good to go to for me, I just have never had the opportunity. I know of the WEC, but being from Glasgow, it makes for a pricey trip!

Thanks again, and, if you do manage the Friday, maybe we could meet up? Always good to meet others who share our hobbies!

Cheers,

Garry

Comment

Working...
                              X