X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you have a rain cover?

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
    Two points that may be of interest.
    1) if you are using a fairly long lens then these come equipped with a deep lens hood. The deep lens hood shields the lens from water splashing onto it. In this case a lens jacket such as the OpTech ( or home made versions as discussed in this thread) work very effectively in keeping the camera and lens barrel dry.
    2) if you are using a tripod and a wide angle lens then the rain jacket is ineffective because although it keeps the camera dry the shallow lens hood does not prevent water from splashing onto the front of the lens. You will see many expert landscape photographers using a plastic elasticated ladies shower cap to stretch over the camera and also over the front of the lens - you then whip it off to take the shot and then replace it. Shooting landscapes in the rain ( especially heavy rain) can produce stunning images that many other less dedicated photographers will just not have.
    I would think this would make a good topic for a future EOS article Robert !
    Anyhow , I hope this helps
    James
    Great info James. Many thanks for that. I hadn,t considered the hood element of the rain protection. Great tip. I'll choose a shower cap carefully!

Cheers,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Re: Do you have a rain cover?

got one in my bag ,never yet used in anger will have to check if it fits the new lens

Comment

Working...
      X