Front fitting teleconvertors/extenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fitting teleconvertors/extenders?

I wonder whether any member has tried one of those front fitting teleconvertors- the ones that screw on to the front of the lens and gives you 2X extention? I note that these are advertised on Ebay from £15 to over £100? I do not know whether this is enable auto focus to function despite the light loss of 2?

Thanks.

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Front fitting teleconvertors/extenders?

Think it a case of throwing your money away once again Nathaniel even at £15 don't bother.
    If you need to get closer to wildlife you need a much big lens OR use a hide and get them to come closer to you.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Agree with Paul

Nat, there is no cheap way to get extra reach AND quality

stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Bah! foiled again!!!!! Thanks Paul and Stan. Advice taken.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Oddly enough many moons ago I had a Sony F717 that I gave away to an old chap, but i still have the two expensive lenses that screwed to the front of the camera lens to convert it, these

I did try them on my canon lens and it did work BUT a comment here on one of those links says it all

found one of these at a local Goodwill with one lens cap and only a single tiny hairline scratch, and at $40 I figured it was worth it. I was right. I used it on a Canon 10D and it was a fun introduction to wide-angle lenses. The one thing I didn't like, which is likely due to my lack of knowledge surrounding lens converters and adapters, was that it was so heavy that it kind of messed up the AF motor in my 18-55 lens. I was sure to brace the weight, because at 2.2 pounds it was a significant amount of pressure, but even with the care I took, the lens ended up loosening a bit but still works fine.

Probably best if used with Sony cameras, but works well-enough for DSLRs, and if you had a lens with a static focal length it would probably be amazing for it.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            I wonder whether any member has tried one of those front fitting teleconvertors- the ones that screw on to the front of the lens and gives you 2X extention? I note that these are advertised on Ebay from £15 to over £100? I do not know whether this is enable auto focus to function despite the light loss of 2?

Thanks.

Nat

Generally these front fitting converters are intended for use with video cameras rather than SLR's. Traditionally video has been able to get away with lower resolution requirements, though I suspect 4K is going to change all that, and so optical quality isn't all that hot. I do use a fisheye converter with my Canons but only to give a circular image - anything like frame filling shows how awful the IQ actually is...

In a way it's a shame as front end converters don't have the light loss issues that bedevil rear end types, unfortunately any front converter that would have the resolving power required by a DSLR would also be a bit expensive and, as has been said, rather heavier than might be advisable for the lens mechanisms...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
            X