Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera bag for a trip up Ben Nevis

Hi There,
    I will be walking up Ben Nevis in August and need some way of taking my 5d mkii with kit lens with me. I have been looking at lowepro toploader zoom bags, that have a harness available seperately.Thing is I think £40.00 is a bit much to pay when the bag is roughly £60 as well. The idea being that I have a backpack with the camera bag resting on my chest. Does anyone have an alternative solution that I may want to look into that will allow easy access to the camera whilst not interfering/snagging with my backpack.

Rgds.

Craig.

Re: Camera bag for a trip up Ben Nevis

Craig,

I would not bother with any additional bags.

Just use the backpack and make sure that you have plenty water and energy food. Pack the essentials first, then the water and food and the camera last so its at the top of the pack.

Personally I think that you don't need quick access to all your equipment so taking off the pack will also give you a rest break as well. Remember its a good climb at over 4000'.

Take plenty Jungle formula as you are at the height of the midgie season. Look forward to your shots being posted.

Slàinte,

Malkie
    Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Malkie,

Thanks for your reply. I must admit that what you have mentioned has also been floating around in my head and tbh has probably just been the decider for me to stick with the backpack. I'm really looking forward to the trip and hopefully have a few shots worthy of posting on my return. I Appreciate the advice.

Rgds.

Craig.

Comment

Have a good trip and we look forward to seeing some photo's.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. I'm going to take a couple of grads, a beanbag, rather than a tripod, and a remote with me to minimise the amount of kit I will have to carry as I prefer to travel as light as possible (plus cheap flights reduce the ampount of hand luggage allowance massively). Any tips on landscape work would be appreciated as I always seem to struggle with the mixed lighting, especially with getting up early to catch the 'golden hour'

Craig.

Comment

Whilst not wanting to teach the OP to suck eggs ... I'm sure I don't and I never would anyway. Others who haven't yet lugged DSLR, lenses, tripod etc. up a mountain should not take the venture too lightly. The reason I carry just a G10 myself! My bag contains lifesaving and emergency kit, GPS, Maps, Spare clothing, mascot, plus food and several Litres of water weighs in at 20kg (and I regularly check I've no unnecessary bits). Mind you if you trained with the chaps from Hereford or Poole then 20kg is nowt to run up Pen-y-Fan with ;-) {I didn't but have respect in buckets for them}.

That said I did happen upon a chap carrying a wooden 5x4 camera on a very substantial wooden tripod a few years ago up a mountain … but he had a ‘Sherpa’ (well his wife was carrying the essentials).

Anyway good luck ... hope the weather is what you want ... and the Golden Hour ... ermmmm Golden ;-)

Comment

but he had a ‘Sherpa’ (well his wife was carrying the essentials)
              The only reason I can think to get married ;)

Comment

Hmmm, I can think of a few others ............. not many though!

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X