Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optech camera straps

Hi all,

Just a quick question to ask about Optech camera straps. I am looking at getting one and wanted to know if anyone has one and what their views are? I know what has been said about the quick release catches and just wanted to know how reliable/secure they are.

Thanks for your time
    Shaun

Re: Optech camera straps

Hi Shaun;

I bought one at the start of the year for my 40D...

It's certainly far more comfortable than the standard Canon strap; and I haven't noted any particular 'problem' with the quick-release clips. They're pretty firm & stable as far as I can see...

Only 'problem' is that it's bulkier and less flexible than the standard strap, so folding & packing in the bag is a little more hassle; but a small price to pay for the comfort factor...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hello Shaun

I have three and have never had a problem with the catches. I regularly hang a 500mm from my shoulder with one and if there was any hint of insecurity, I would have found another solution. I would suspect that the very few reported problems are more likely to be user error, where they didn't fully click home the catch, possibly in the heat of the moment.

Many members here use them without problem. The apparent weight reduction and greater comfort provided by the wider strap is very welcome. I use the version with the "Bootlace" loops, to connect to the camera body, that way I can also fit the Canon hand strap E.

Go for it!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

On the advice I received from other forum members I have bought Optech camera( two) and bag straps (one) and find that they are brilliant. I am one of those who doesn't unclip the strap at top end and carry the camera in my hand. Once clipped on it stays that way for me and I always have the camera around my neck. The apparent weight reduction is very important to me.You can now get these neoraphane camera straps, with the Canon loggo on Ebay, Amazon for under £6. So go for it.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Same for me - no problems with catches and use the same bootlace loop type as Colin. Certainly more comfortable than most other straps I've tried.
          Also agree with C-F's comment - a little more bulky when it comes time to pack in a bag.

jhdee
          jhdee

Comment

Use them here as well and have never had a problem with the catches.

Comment

While on the subject of straps, does anybody know of a realtree strap available anywhere?

Thanks

Chris (realtree addict)
              Canon EOS 7D / Canon EOS 500D / 18-55mm / 50mm f1.8 / 500mm f/4L IS ii / 100-400mm L / Canon 24-105mmL Canon 1.4X iii / Sigma 2x / Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS / Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments - this is appreciated and I am going to order the strap today.

Regards
                Shaun

Comment

Another vote from me. Never a problem, a lot more comfortable, the catches work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                    While on the subject of straps, does anybody know of a realtree strap available anywhere?

Thanks

Chris (realtree addict)
                    I have seen a couple in Camo and Optech have recently released one in Camo, but it is not realtree ......... more like Army Camo!

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

I use the optech camera straps on all my bodies, and find them perfect, I also use an old one on my tripod when carrying, and with the elasticated strap, it means I can exert a bit of pressure on the tripod to make sure there is no movement if windy.
                      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Best strap you can find imho and no problems for me with the quick release either
                        --
                        Colin
                        http://fotos-espana.com
                        http://macameraclub.com
                        http://turnspain.com

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                          I use the optech camera straps on all my bodies, and find them perfect, I also use an old one on my tripod when carrying, and with the elasticated strap, it means I can exert a bit of pressure on the tripod to make sure there is no movement if windy.
                          Great tip.

I use a heavy duty tent peg and a bungey chord. Your solution is easier and more elegant.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

when shooting long exposures, on the canon strap there's a small shield that attaches to the eyepiece to stop any stray light entering the viewfinder. Using the optech strap, you can't fit the small shield.

Again a very small proiblem.

I have two that are never off my cameras. A lot more comfortable than the canon straps
                            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
                              when shooting long exposures, on the canon strap there's a small shield that attaches to the eyepiece to stop any stray light entering the viewfinder. Using the optech strap, you can't fit the small shield.

Again a very small proiblem.
                              Being a smart arse (moi? surely not!), on the 1 series bodies, you just flick a lever and a smaller shutter drops across the viewfinder. Which is really good, until you go to use the camera the next day and have a mild heart attack, because you can't see anything through the viewfinder.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X