Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory card capacity

Hi

I have a question regarding memory cards.. I have 3 16GB memory cards to use in my EOS 7D, 1 x Sandisk Extreme and 2 x Lexar 1066x cards, all 16GB

When formatted in my 7D, the Sandisk states in the display 610 images whilst both Lexar state 609 .. Not an issue, but why the difference between card manufactures?

Stuart
    Last edited by stuarttunstall; 01-11-2015, 08:44.
    Stuart Tunstall
    York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Re: Memory card capacity

No idea but you will find that depending on the sort of shots you take the number of shots you will actually get on a card may be more or less than that stated when you formatted. For example, a shot of a bird against a plain background will use less memory than a landscape full of different tones and lots of detail

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thank you for the reply...

I appreciate that the "actual" capacity will vary with what you say, every image will be different, just seemed strange that the 2 Lexar cards when formatted in the camera show 609 and the Sandisk 610 .. Must be down to how the card is manufactured or maybe the Sandisk capacity is very slightly different..
      Stuart Tunstall
      York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Comment

All cards contain the manufacturers 'bits' of software when made. I guess that explains the difference.
        Quentin

Comment

Very true.. I expect if you checked 5 manufactures they may all be 1 or 2 either way... makes sense, maybe also due to the Lexar being "higher speed" cards than my old Sandisk, plus technology may have changed since the Sandisk was made 5 years ago..
          Stuart Tunstall
          York - UK

Comment

I don't think this is the case here, but some cameras adjust the remaining capacity based on the selected ISO, as the more noise in lower light (i.e. higher ISO) images can't be compressed as well so giving larger Raw files.

Comment

Working...
            X