Rain Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Covers

Anybody got any experience of rain covers? What's good what isn't, etc.
    I'm probably going to get one but don't want to spend a lot if it turns out it's just a giant wind sock that stops you accessing the controls.
    Ideally I'd like to use it handheld and on a tripod and still be able to see what is going on with the display and eyepiece. Do they go over your head a la 19th century capes or do they have windows?

Cheers,
    Wayne
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: Rain Covers

Hi Wayne

I use THIS. £50 from WEX.

Comes in its own ticket bag with a clip, so you can clip it on your bag or belt.

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Cheers Mike.

I'll have a think, not sue I want to drop £50 on a glorified bag though. How easy is it to use?
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

At under £18, the Matin Lightweight Rain Cover is worth considering.

Although designed for use with the camera on a tripod, it is light enough for use with a handheld camera. As the description says, there is a clear panel at the rear and a flap to allow access to the controls, though without a tripod you can hold the camera and drape the cover over your arms.

In an emergency, I have used a plastic carrier bag. Tear a hole at the base for the lens (ideally with a lens hood) to go through. Hold the camera through the opening at the top of the bag. You might have to pay 5p for the bag!

DISCLAIMER: The above link takes you to the EOS magazine Shop.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

At Focus about 7 years ago we bought 2 twin packs of the Op Tech rain sleeve for around a fiver each pack and the originals are still going strong with the other two still in their original packing

Selling on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Op-Tech-Rain...ch+rain+sleeve

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
            At under £18, the Matin Lightweight Rain Cover is worth considering.

Although designed for use with the camera on a tripod, it is light enough for use with a handheld camera. As the description says, there is a clear panel at the rear and a flap to allow access to the controls, though without a tripod you can hold the camera and drape the cover over your arms.

In an emergency, I have used a plastic carrier bag. Tear a hole at the base for the lens (ideally with a lens hood) to go through. Hold the camera through the opening at the top of the bag. You might have to pay 5p for the bag!

DISCLAIMER: The above link takes you to the EOS magazine Shop.

Good suggestion
            ef-r

Comment

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the rain cover sold by the EOS shop. I've used it in a light drizzle and also heavier rain, with the camera hand-held. Fitting it is easy although when I swapped my 40D for a 7D I had to increase the size of the opening on the transparent rear cover to fit it over the viewfinder as that attaches it firmly to the camera - it involves removing the rubber eyecup, positioning the rain cover over the viewfinder and re-attaching the eye-cup which attaches it very firmly. When it isn't in use it folds up to a small packet size that takes up very little room in your gadget bag/back-pack so I always have it with me "just in case".

scotsdave
              EOS 5D; EOS 7D; 50mm f1.8 (mk I); 28/80mm f3.5/5.6 (Mk IV); 24/105mm f4 L IS; 70/200mm f4 L IS; 1.4 X TC; Sigma 10/20mm f3.5 DC HSM; Sigma 18/50mm f2.8/4.5 DC OS HSM; Speedlite 430EX II.

Comment

Cheers Guys,

Robert, it was your Matin one I was mainly interested in although the Optech ones seem to be good value. I'll have a think.

Comment

When the rain starts, the camera goes in the photo bag. When the rain stopped, camera goes out of the bag. I woul not take the risk.
                  With kind regards,
                  Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

When the rain starts, the camera goes in the photo bag. When the rain stopped, camera goes out of the bag. I woul not take the risk.
                    If it is raining then most of the time there is little point in going out with the camera but there are times when you are out and get caught out and for those occasions, the cheap Op Tech covers are more than adequate, little point in spending more

stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      If it is raining then most of the time there is little point in going out with the camera but there are times when you are out and get caught out and for those occasions, the cheap Op Tech covers are more than adequate, little point in spending more

stan
                      I used the Op Tech and they come in very handy.
                      Though now i have a 400mm i think i need to upgrade as they don't fit anymore (used to cover my camera and the 300mm but no chance with the 400mm)

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

i just bought a full length camo lens and camera cover from wildlife watching supplies ,made sense as some of them are in the sale at the moment (inc the size i needed) and i had a small credit note to spend there anyway .he does make them lens specific though its not a case of one size fits all .and also i didn't want a shiny plastic one for wildlife ,each to there own needs it seems

Comment

I bought the Optech pack on Stan's and other's recommendation when I asked the same question last year (worth a read here). Not used them much, but have come in handy a couple of times. Used mainly at last years British Grand Prix. Had it on a 500d body with a 100-400 L lens, covered with ease. Good quality and unbeatable value.

Garry
                          Last edited by digiman; 10-01-2016, 22:55.
                          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I use rain covers on my camera and lens if there is a slight drizzle about; it is also invaluable if you are going on a boat to see and photograph sea birds- for example the Puffin cruise that takes off from Beaumaris!
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Cheers All. In the end I bought the Optech ones. £5 for two won over my natural thriftiness. I was talking to a guy at one of my clubs last night who cuts the Optech ones on half!
                              Longer term depending on how I get along with them I might end up with a more durable one anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X