Lens hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens hoods

I have 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses. Do I need hoods for them?
    If so, what is the difference between the normal hood and the petal-shaped hood?
    Can someone advise me please.
    Many thanks.
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Lens hoods

Hi,
    It's best to buy the hood Canon make for your specific Lens.
    They help to prevent flare, and add a small degree of protection for your lens.

Millie

Comment

Hi

Millie's right. The Canon ones are a bit more expensive, but they are designed for each lens and provide the maximum protection against flair, without any vignetting.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Whilst what Millie says is correct ... you may baulk at the cost of Canon's own lenshoods ... in which case a traditional shape third party one might have to do. You'll need to check these don't cause vignetting which will probably mean buying one suitable for the wide end of each lens. Not ideal. Also the Canon ones are generally bayonet (and will reverse for storage) whereas non-Canon might be screw in and not reverse. Also the lining is important ... one can go on.

You can begin to see why a Canon one would always be better ... but I know the price seems high for a black tube ;-)

But as wise Millie implies ... you can't leave home without one (IMHO) ... bit like protection filters (but that'll get blood pressures going in some circles).

Update: And what Colin says as well ... he just beat me to it!

Comment

Bit like buying a Bugatti Veyron and running it on standard fuel and expect it to perform like all the articles on it say..... a no brainer, you have invested in Canon, don't dilute your investment

David
          David

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Hi

Millie's right. The Canon ones are a bit more expensive, but they are designed for each lens and provide the maximum protection against flair, without any vignetting.

Colin
            Ah, that's where I'm going wrong, I'll ditch the lens hood and maybe the lens will stop fighting me trying to add some style to my pics :-)

Comment

You can get exact replicas for most non L Canon lenses they generally cost a tenner V Canon's 20 - 30 Pound ones.
              I have an exact replica for my 50 1.4, if you want I will try to dig out the suppliers name on ebay for you.

Millie

Comment

YOu can get the Canon lenshoods economically on Ebay if you know the lenhood details. The EOS mag supplement gives on the details of the lenshoods.
                For your info, the lens hood for the 18mm-55mm IS is EW60C (same for non IS); and for the 55mm-250mm IS is ET-60. You can enter these on Ebay and see what you come up with.

Good luck.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Premier Ink do a whole load of compatible hoods from a tenner
                  http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...0_397_403.html

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. Canon accessories are expensive, but are the sensible option it seems.
                    Deva32
                    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Premier-ink ones seems good. Anyone bought one for the 18-55mm IS?

Comment

Some so-called Canon Hoods on E-bay are not genuine when you investigate a possible purchase!
                        From the above comments, do I always use my hood for daylight shots as I thought it was for sunny days only & protection for my Lens?
                        Terry

Comment

I leave my hoods on all the time.

You need it shooting towards the light, it doesn't do any harm at other times and the protection factor will always be available. It would be a pity to damage the front of the lens by knocking it, because you didn't happen to have the lenshood fitted, because the light was dull! I am quite happy to sacrifice the cost of a lenshood if it saves me big repair bills, or the cost of a new lens.

I will temporarily remove the lenshood when I take a flash shot, with the flash fitted on-camera. For some lenses like the 24 - 70 f2.8, the hood can shadow the flash coverage, so it's best to use off camera flash, or where that is inappropriate, remove the lenshood.

The final reason for having the hood fitted at all times, is that it looks cool and very professional.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            The final reason for having the hood fitted at all times, is that it looks cool and very professional.
                            Well I have mine on all the time as well; but you certainly wouldn't describe me as 'cool & professional' - you've seen the rear-end...

Does it only work with those big white things? Or, will getting a hat help?
                            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

The hat is a must. :)

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X