Backpacks vs Shoulder camera bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpacks vs Shoulder camera bags

There has been some comments about backpacks/shoulder bags under "stupid questions", and so I thought I'd start a new thread. I agree with Woolley where he has said that the shoulder bag could cause health problems like slipped discs etc. I am not much of a walker nowadays, doing most of my walking on the treadmill at my local gym. Hence to carry my camera and lenses on my shoulder is not too much of a problem for me.I also limit my weight as follows:-

Weight
    Camera 450d 510 grms
    55mm-250mm lens 390
    18mm-55mm lens 200
    50mm 130
    Total 1230 grms
    Add flash
    (speedlight EX 430) 330

Camera 550d 530 grms
    Total weight 2090 grms
    So the max load I will carry when I go away on hols is 2090 grms. This also fits the overhead lockers on the plane and has not caused me any problems with airlines. Of course for domestic hols, the weight is not a problem as I can take whatever I want.

Having said that I will certainly look into the Lowepro sling bags to see if I can carry the above camera gear in it.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 15-09-2010, 11:25.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Backpacks vs Shoulder camera bags

Nathaniel, my thoughts on your conundrum..
    I had a shoulder bag and "lumped" it around Australia twice with a 350D, three lens, flash and small video, the end result was aching back from the shoulder bag.

I now use a LowePro AW Mini Trecker (purchased after comments on the forum) and now "lump around" 50D, 5 lens, flash, video, P&S, monocular, batteries, cards, close up lens all on my back and the difference is amazing, no problems at all. oh and also a water bottle and rain jacket as it is English Summertime after all.

So, why not go into your friendly Je$$ops with all your gear in your shoulder bag, tell them you are looking for a backpack and load all your gear into the backpack they suggest then walk around the shop with it on your back and see how it feels.
    Flash a nice fat credit card at Je$$ops and it is amazing how helpful they suddenly become.

David
    Last edited by djguk47; 15-09-2010, 16:09.
    David

Comment

Dont forget the Lowepro Sling range which makes the contents on the backpack available without taking it off
      ef-r

Comment

I forgot to add that I also put in my small camcorder just in case I come across an exotic dancer or similar!!

I have of course two other lenses- ef 20mm Canon & an EF 28-105mm. I will of course upgrade these for better suitable lenses for me. I do change the lenses I carry depending on what I can envisage what I will be photographing. I also take my trusty Camcorder for exotic subjects and sometimes my P&S camera instead of the flash.
        Last edited by Nathaniel; 15-09-2010, 14:27.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I actually have a slipped disc at the moment which I am convinced is from using a shoulder bag! For those of you who have never experienced the pain of a slipped disc....................well its bad!!!!
          My advice is to stay well clear of shoulder bags, I am sure there are many people who are going to say they have used a shoulder bag for years without any problems, but in my opinion they are just lucky! I don`t however think there is such a thing as a perfect bag, as everyones idea of what makes a perfect bag are different!
          Regards Eddie.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I will call in at my local Jessops and try out their Lowepro slingbags- perhaps the 200 series might take what I wish to carry. I must also have in mind the airline restrictions on sizes.

Comment

Nathaniel, make like your wife trying on a new outfit.... try 'em all don't restrict yourself to just the slingshot.

I believe that Lowepro may have stopped the Trekker range and have a new range (Vertex) similar to the slingshot which a friend of mine has just bought and he has a 450 plus 3 lens, flash, maps, sandwiches, water bottle, wet weather jacket and tripod when he heads off.

David
              David

Comment

I am also a fan of backpacks. I have tried the slingshot range and it didn't work for me, though I do like the idea in theory. Perhaps I didn't persevere with it!

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I'm going for a backpack next time. I'v just returned from a trip to Rome which I took a lowepro slingshot 202, with most of my kit in it, and boy did it give me a sore back. With any reasonable amount of kit you need the benefit of two straps in my opinion.

John

Comment

John - you sure you had it adjusted right? I was doing 10+ miles a day with all my stuff without any problem. It has to be adjusted so the bottom of the bag is resting on the top of your bottom
                    ef-r

Comment

Hi Nathaniel;

I too have to agree with the 'NO to shoulder-bag' brigades... Been there... Done that... Got the sore shoulders & neck to prove it... A shoulder-bag is OK if all you're doing is carting some lighweight kit about; but as soon as you start to look at a reasonable amount of it; the weight is just too much for a day's serious shooting!

I'm also a fan of Backpacks; but haven't given the relatively new Slingbacks a try-out... They 'appear' to be a decent compromise...

There is another option; which is something like the 'LowePro Street & Field' belt system; but it's no good for travelling purposes...
                      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. This is something I never thought of before- the camera bag plus shoulder or backpack. However with all your comments coming through I agree that I must give this a very good airing,trial etc. If I am comfortable with the weight issue I can think of other things in the line of L lenses etc.

Comment

This is very comfortable if you are walking around all day with one or even two cameras + lens ........... beleive me ... I've tried it walking around Universal Studios !!!

The premiere, strapless solution for carrying a camera. The Spider Camera Holster is the perfect solution for the professional wedding, sport and event photographer!
                          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                            John - you sure you had it adjusted right? I was doing 10+ miles a day with all my stuff without any problem. It has to be adjusted so the bottom of the bag is resting on the top of your bottom
                            Hi Brian, I tried adjusting to see if it would help, but to no avail. I tried carrying it with only my camera and a couple of filters, and that was fine. But we're all different, some people will prefer the sling type, and some backpacks. Or maybe I'v got a bad back and it has nothing to do with my slingshot, lol.

John

Comment

A good quality Backpacks to get to location ... then shoulder / strap when taking pictures. But always ditch the Canon standard issue strap for an Op/tech IMHO

I recently took my 7D and 24-105 (plus togs, food, water, medical kit, etc) up a mountain in a photo backpack ... these backpacks are nowhere near as good as a proper walking/rambler pack for carrying a lot a long way. The LowePro left my back wet ... my outdoor packs wouldn't do nearly so bad.

So its vital to ensure you get pack that works for you. It must be set up correctly and have hip straps ... these take the weight off the back. I tend not to use the chest straps.

Comment

Working...
                              X