Eyepiece Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyepiece Extensions

I am confused! Canon lists 2 eyepiece extensions for the SLRs, EP-EX15 allegedly for all EOS SLRs, and the EP-EX15 II for certain specifice DSLRs.
    Can anyone please explain the differences to me, and make recommendations for a 50D DSLR?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Quentin

Re: Eyepiece Extensions

The EOS50D system map says:

EP-EX15

(with Rubber Frame Eb, E-Series dioptric lenses and Eyecub Eb being other bits for the eyepiece).

Comment

I quite enjoyed using one of these on a 30D, which I used as a second body. It held the eyepiece off the screen just enough to improve comfort and avoid the squashed nose eefect.

It did seem a bit "Tunnel Vision" though, until I was given the tip to remove the plastic lenses. One jeweller's screwdriver later and it was much better.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Thanks guys, just what I wanted to know! Embarassed too, as I didn't think to look at the system map!
        Interested in your comment Colin, I take it that the plastic lenses referred to have no particular function, other than plugging the hole? But how does their removal get rid of the 'tunnel effect'?
        Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
          I take it that the plastic lenses referred to have no particular function, other than plugging the hole? But how does their removal get rid of the 'tunnel effect'?
          Quentin
          They must have caused it Quentin. With them in place it was like looking through the wrong end of a telescope, though nowhere near as pronounced. With them removed, everything looked normal ............... to my eyes.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

I have one of these (EP-EX15) on a 50D my main reason for getting it was to prevent the nose smudges on the screen (it didn't stop it totally but did reduce it) anyway I digress. Until I read Colin's comments I hadn't really noticed the lenses (one convex, one concave) in the EX15 I have just taken it off the camera and it does seem to have an optical effect. I feel the need to get the screwdrive out and see what it's like without, thanks Colin.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
              I have one of these (EP-EX15) on a 50D my main reason for getting it was to prevent the nose smudges on the screen (it didn't stop it totally but did reduce it) anyway I digress. Until I read Colin's comments I hadn't really noticed the lenses (one convex, one concave) in the EX15 I have just taken it off the camera and it does seem to have an optical effect. I feel the need to get the screwdrive out and see what it's like without, thanks Colin.
              I have now fitted an extension to my 50D (and also to my old 20D), and it certainly makes a difference (improvement) to the 'nose problem'.
              As for the built in lenses I see what Colin means - and the answer is in the instructions (who reads them?), fitting the extender magnifies the image by 0.5, isn't that a contradiction in terms? To my eyes it reduces the image size!
              When I have time I will experiment, as Colin did, with the extender fitted to the 20D, and then assess which I prefer.
              Quentin

Comment

Working...
              X