Close-up filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close-up filters

I am thinking of buying a close-up filter before commmiting to a proper macro lens. I have an EOS 450D, plus 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS lenses. Can anyone offer any adivce please concerning which one to buy and to their effectiveness.
    Many thanks.
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Close-up filters

Hello Deva32,
    I was in the same "dilemma" this time last year and decided to buy some close-up filters from 7Day Shop. I knew that they would not be of the same quality as the Canon ones but as it was an exercise to see whether or not I actually wanted to do close-up work I thought it was the best "value for money" option.

I have since bought a Sigma 105 macro which also doubles up up as a very good prime lens. Many on the forum have purchased the Canon 100 macro.

David
    David

Comment

I got the Canon 180 secondhand.

I chose the 180 as it means that you dont get so close to the object, which in turn means that you can use an on shoe flash, which means you can up the av and down the iso for maximum DOV.

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

Thanks David and Brian.
        David, what did you think of the close-up filters' performance?
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Deva, have a look at post #7 in this link to a similar thread in Sept this year.....http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...oes&highlight=

and then read the posts after #7 as you will find answers to similar questions you are asking or are about to ask.

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 19-11-2010, 17:18.
          David

Comment

Thanks again David. I loved the picture. It's enough to persuade me to have a go!

Comment

Close up filters are a very economical buy esp for people who prefer Macro photograpy only on an occsional basis. There was an EOS mag which dealt on this subject and that is also something for you to read about.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Why not get a couple from 7Day Shop and give it a go. After-all it will only cost you £10-£15 pounds and then you can see if if it is for you or not and you haven't parted with hundreds of pounds.

David
                David

Comment

Thanks everyone. 7Dayshop currently have a x4 close-up lens for less than £4. Sounds too cheap to be any good, but at that price I suppose there is little to lose!

Comment

close-up lens for less than £4. Sounds too cheap to be any good
                    Deva, that is what I paid for the close-up lens I used for the shot of the leaf. I bought a +2 and a +4

David
                    David

Comment

David
                      That's such a bargain by the sound of it. At the moment 7Dayshop are only offering the x4 filter, but I will definitely go for it.
                      Thanks.

Comment

In my original order one of the lens had a mark new the edge, I contacted 7Day Shop and they sent a replacement the same day and did not want the damaged one back, better Customer Service than Canon are offering at the moment.

They come in a round plastic container with foam inserts so they do have some protection.

For £4 you cannot go wrong for an exercise to see if you like/want to do close up work.

They can also double up as reading glasses when your eyes start to fail :-) trying to read the small print in user manuals.

David
                        Last edited by djguk47; 20-11-2010, 11:49.
                        David

Comment

Working...
                        X