Memory cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory cards

Deleting all the files will end up with the same effective result as formatting, unless there is something odd about the way the camera formats the disk compared to the card manufacturer (or computer if formatted there). I don't think you can compare formatting to a card with only some files being deleted.

A format in a computer will usually nuke both FATs plus the root directory, so recovering files will be harder, especially if they aren't in consecutive disk blocks. Cameras can do whatever they like, but again I'd expect them to kill all the FAT and root directory entries - this isn't as much of a problem as it sounds, as the photos will be in a sub-directory, which should be locatable and so all but the first char of the name will be present.

If you copy all the files off then formatting is a quick way to empty the card (provided you didn't miss any - well, it's still a quick way to empty the card :-).
    Personally I move them off via a card reader, so have no need to format.

Formatting will help if the card is corrupted, but I've never had one of those from a camera.

Comment

This Rob Galbraith Card Performance Database may be of interest.

Well we all have the choice to delete or format ... it's up to each to decide what we do.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Transcend cards and they now come with a guarantee that is valid in the UK. Cheaper than Lexar/Sandisk and speed for speed probably a bit quicker in a modern UDMA enabled camera. At least thats my experience...
        Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
        Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
          Well we all have the choice to delete or format ... it's up to each to decide what we do.
          Well said!

John

Comment

Hi Guys,

I use Transcend x600 UDMA C/f cards & found them to be very capable. They keep up with the 7D at Max RAW in multi burst mode, no problem. I still have one Sandisk C/f card left, but only use that in emergency because it isn't as quick as the Transcend cards. As Ron has already pointed out the Transcend cards come with a life time guarantee, too. I would also add that I've never had the slightest problem downloading a full 8 meg of pictures straight from the camera.

I get my cards from either 7dayshop or allmemorycards.co.uk - depends who's the cheapest - just bought another card from allmemorycards last week - ordered Monday, here on Wednesday.

TTFN,
            Neil
            Last edited by Neilly; 27-11-2010, 17:36.
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Working...
            X