Media Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Storage

It's been a while (I think) since we discussed these backup devices. Are there any new kids on the block? ... for example SSHD based models that can display Canon RAW (and Noink RAW)?

I've lost touch with these devices (as an alternative to carting a laptop/netbook/pad around).

Thanks in advance

Re: Media Storage

Coincidentally, I bought another external drive yesterday.

I spent some time researching other options and talked to a few people "in the know" and although there are plenty of possibilities on the horizon, nothing now with proven reliability. Therefore I have "Wimped Out", bought yet another Seagate 1TB external drive and spent last night transferring all of my 2009 shots from the computer. This will free up some space so that I can have 2011 files in a week or so.

I tend to keep two years of photo's on the computer, current and previous year. I have three external drives: a) for Raw, b) for Jpegs and c) for RAW + Jpegs archived from computer. Important stuff is backed up on DVD's, but less so these days, as DVD's are not the "Magic Wand" we once thought they were.

In summary, current stuff is on the computer, with a RAW back-up on drive a) and a Jpeg back-up on drive b).
    After two years, the computer files will be transfered to drive c) and they are already on drives a) and b).

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Colin, of which one of the drives you keep in a safe....lest you get broken into and they take the laptop and external hard drive........After one of you guys on here advised me, i now have 2 external drives....one as a permanent back up to the laptop drive and the 2nd backed up monthly and stored in my safe.....just incase.....dont call me paranoid.....electronic gadgets have a habit of breaking down at some point in time, or left near a window in open view could go walk about.

Comment

Broken into?

One of the perks of living in the country - we all have dogs. Big working dogs and there is always a shotgun or two at close hand. I can't even think of anyone in our village who locks their doors at night?

The only "Laptop" we use is a tray with a cup of tea on. (Big Grin)

Colin
        Colin

Comment

I bought a synology NAS and filled it with 2x 1tb drives in Raid 5 recently. I like that I can access my files from anywhere remotely through the web and I can even run a blog from it and use it to play music on an ipod/android phone (using 3G). Next will be 2x 2Tb drives - they are only a small premium over 1tb drives at the moment.

I have 6 external drives and 4 internal drives running on my system (excluding the synlogy server), so I'd like to replace most with a couple of decent sized drives.

You can view CR2 files by installing a C+Canon RAW viewer utility. I can view all RAW images in explorer on my system so you don't particularly need any different system.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I think that George was interested in portable, battery powered back up devices that accept memory cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Conner View Post
              I think that George was interested in portable, battery powered back up devices that accept memory cards.
              I think you are right ................. I did go off on a tangent didn't I? Oops, sorry George!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

The MemoryKick Si seems to get good reviews over the pond. I'm just waiting for someone in the UK to stock it so I can look. See MemoryKick Si. I did briefly own a Jobo ... but the (CF) pins broke. Fortunately I got a full refund.

Comment

No hint on price yet.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

I would consider a HyperDrive Colorspace. But, it is not Solid State. I could not find any info on a Solid State portable drive in my web search. I have owned a HyperDrive in the past, and liked it. It was an older version of the HD80. I liked it because it used AA batteries, of which I always had spares, and also I was able to purchase the case only and install my own hard drive. But, I rarely had a real need to use it because memory card prices continue to fall.
                    HyperDrive Colorspace
                    Last edited by Bryan Conner; 20-12-2010, 07:14.

Comment

My PC has a SSD C: drive as they are inherently more reliable than a regular hard drive - I find that rebuilding a system always seems to mean losing something however dilligent I am.

Data is not a problem as I have three synchronised copies which is kept up to date by SyncToy (freee from Microsoft)
                      ef-r

Comment

I would consider a HyperDrive Colorspace. But, it is not Solid State.
                        You can easily change out the drive on the HyperDrive to an SSD; make sure to clone the drive first though before changing it.

Comment

well, then I would look into purchasing a HyperDrive Colorspace without a hard drive and installing a solid state drive of your choice. I wonder why HyperDrive does not offer a solid state drive option.

Comment

well, then I would look into purchasing a HyperDrive Colorspace without a hard drive and installing a solid state drive of your choice. I wonder why HyperDrive does not offer a solid state drive option.
                            I would look to see if it has some kind of OS on it before doing that, the device could have an onboard chip that stores all the info required, but then again the hard drive could hold the start-up boot program.

As for why they are not sold with SSD, it all comes down to cost per MB, a 500GB SATA drive £45.00 against 500GB SSD drive £1000.00 +.

for a storage medium it is all about capacity not speed, yes have SSD drives for boot devices say PC's ECT which rely on fast access read and Wright times, but until the cost comes down on SSD's then stick with a conventional fast RPM SATA drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X