Cord or Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cord or Wireless

I am thinking of getting a remote for my 500D..not sure what to do the RC-6 wireless or the wired one?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Richard
    Canon EOS 7D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard-davidson/

Re: Cord or Wireless

I had a canon wired shutter release, and then i got a wireless from Hahnel. Wireless much more flexible and offers greater opportunities in my opinion.

For example, I set a pirch with some food out. Set the camera up on a tripod, hid it, then waited in the comfort of the house for a bird to come along and take the bait. :-)

Comment

I use a Hanl wireless - about £40
      ef-r

Comment

Both are useful in their own way.

I have the Canon LC-E4 remote unit and the RS80 wired. I use the wired unit when the camera is on a tripod and I am close to it and the wireless up to 100 metres away. I probably use the wired remote twenty times to one use of the wireless.

I also have the Canon 10 metre wired extension cable ................ which I have never used!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

The Hahnel can also be used as a wired. Has the best of both worlds with the advantage of more function than the Canon wired version

See http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ha...e-Control-9776
          ef-r

Comment

I am afraid I went cheap with my wireless trigger which I have used many times and it works for me, it is simple no real whistles or bells but for £14.95 from Amazon what can you expect. It is the Yongnuo device and I have used it over a fairly long distance and as Monobrow has indicated with my camera set up on a tripod down the side of the hiouse triggering it from indoors through the brick wall.

If you do get one of these units take the battery out of the component that fits to the camera when not in use as you will find that it is too easy to accidentally switch it on and run the battery down.

Comment

+1 on the post by Muscat.
              I got one of the Yongnuo triggers from Amazon. It worked perfectly on my 1000d and now on my 550d.
              Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Comment

Thanks all !
                Canon EOS 7D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard-davidson/

Comment

I have both wired and wireless....I very seldom use the wire one...my wireless is a cheep and chearfull one but It has never let me down.
                  I set my camera up at our perch and then hide behind a tree.

Coda
                  There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

I have a neat little Yongnuo infra red one for my 60D but the connection doesn't fit the 5D. The one Muscat mentioned seems like it would be compatible with the 5DMKII. I assume this would be suitable? It seems cheap and cheerful and as I don't use it that often it seems ideal.
                    It's one of those things... when you don't have one you realise you need one!
                    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Cord or Wireless

I have a cheap (Amazon/EBay) wired intervalometer which looks similar to the official Canon TC80 which is extremely useful and which I use most of the time when I need a remote release. Like Muscat I also have a wireless remote, but the button-cells in the remote run down even when stored as there's no on/off button so I don't use it. I also have TrigerTrap for the iPhone/ iPad which is neat if you want some complex triggering, but I always seem to return to the wired intervalometer for its reliability and simplicity.
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I only have a wired remote which serves me well.
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I've got a Hahnel one I bought some years ago, but which has cables for both current Canon remote cable types. I do sometimes use my wired Canon one, but only because it's the timer remote with lots of extra functions, such as an intervalometer. These days, there are much cheaper ones than the Canon, though.

I wouldn't much recommend the Canon IR remotes such as the RC-6 because you need line-of-sight, which means you have to be in front of the camera - which isn't always practical.
                          Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                          X