Kit Bags/Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kit Bags/Cases

Anyone got any recommendations for protective bags/cases? I'm looking for something which can be carried in an aircraft cabin, but which is also robust enough to go in the hold of the Isles of Scilly helicopter (which limits cabin luggage to one very small handbag). It needs to be able to accommodate a 40D plus kit lens, 55-250mm, 10-20mm and 90mm lenses, Speedlight, filters, spare battery and that sort of stuff.
    I was considering a Vanguard, until I noticed its empty weight is 3.8kg - which is most of the average hand baggage allowance.

Re: Kit Bags/Cases

I've got two from Lowepro, a Nova 190AW and a Fastpack 350, never had any trouble getting either on a plane even with the laptap in the backpack. You're allowed to carry a camera separately, so I always take it on slung over my shoulder with the heaviest lens fitted along with a filter I won't need. Since I now have two cameras my wife will suddenly become an enthusiast at check in and carry the other with the second heaviest lens fitted, even if there's no likelihood of it being used on the trip!

Also, once when travelling on Singapore Airlines I use the test weighing machine at Changi airport to discover my coat weighed over 13kg, and I can't recall that ever being weighed!
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I have done quite a lot of of motorcycle touring so I turn up in full bike gear - the helmet is counted as a 'hat' - with my pockets crammed full of stuff plus the cameras in a rucksack. No suitcase or hold luggage.

When I get to the destination I just jump aboard a rental/friends bike. Travelling light takes on a different meaning when on the holiday my clean clothing comes from Walmart. I dont even take a wash bag now with the stupid rules about the size of the tube of toothpaste etc that you can take. The only essentials are the wallet, passport, visa and mobile phone.

The amusing part is on the way home when the US customs insist on searching shoes - well off come the boots that I have been wearing for hours in a hot sweaty airport and I get to see the face of the person that has to stick hand and arm in to search for the possible bomb :biggrin:
      Last edited by briansquibb; 03-01-2011, 03:06.
      ef-r

Comment

[QUOTE=Snap-Dragon;35354]go in the hold of the Isles of Scilly helicopter (which limits cabin luggage to one very small handbag). QUOTE]

I think this is the crux of the question, I believe that Woolley andBrian have gone part way to answering it. When I have been faced with similar issues I have carried the camera, and then placed my lenses / flashgun etc. that I can not get in the cabin with me wrapped in clothes in the centre of my suitcase to add as much protection as I can, I would put the batteries in my pocket. So far it has worked for me even though it is not ideal

Comment

Hi Snap-dragon. I have a lowepro fastpack 350 in black and blue. I will sell it to you if your interested. It has a minor fault at the point where the logo is stitched to the left strap(the stitching has come loose) no real big deal though. Let me know if your interested I can send you some images.
          Cheers warren

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions (and for the offer of the 350, Warren). I think that for the time being I'll try resurrecting the old Lowepro Nova 5 which I currently use for storing my film cameras. That's OK to carry on - and if I adopt Woolley's cunning ploy of wearing the camera and biggest lens, there'll be room in the bag for a netbook. I'll need to think a bot more about the helicopter, though.

Comment

Working...
            X