Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory card for 500D

Hi Christian

I had the same thoughts as you when I was deciding what card to get. I spent £30 on a Sandisk extreme 8GB class 10 card. I'm very happy with it... but I spent £7.99 on a Transcend sdhc 8GB class 10 card and I've noticed no difference yet!

I carry about 4 cards usually for a day out, but you may need more batteries as well! I'd recommend the 7 day shop batteries as well, as they are much cheaper than Canon's, and I notice no difference in them either!

Here's what I bought from 7dayshop... 8GB Class 10

Much cheaper option! Up to you though! Your camera will be a restriction as well... it depends whether you're shooting RAW or JPG. I still only get about 6 RAW shots before it stops on my 550D!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
      Hi Christian

I had the same thoughts as you when I was deciding what card to get. I spent £30 on a Sandisk extreme 8GB class 10 card. I'm very happy with it... but I spent £7.99 on a Transcend sdhc 8GB class 10 card and I've noticed no difference yet!

I carry about 4 cards usually for a day out, but you may need more batteries as well! I'd recommend the 7 day shop batteries as well, as they are much cheaper than Canon's, and I notice no difference in them either!

Here's what I bought from 7dayshop... 8GB Class 10

Much cheaper option! Up to you though! Your camera will be a restriction as well... it depends whether you're shooting RAW or JPG. I still only get about 6 RAW shots before it stops on my 550D!

All the best, Mike.

Hi Mike

That's fantastic, thank you for your reply. It helps to have some understanding of what I can achieve and like you say, if you can get 6 RAW shots off with a 550d it gives me a reference point. Interesting too regarding the Transcend card - it may well be worth giving that one a go first then, and I can always just add another card at a later date. I have been shooting Jpeg with my 2gb card and I don't mind continuing in Jpeg, it's just that I can get about 6 Jpeg shots then it freezes so I know my camera can do better than that.

It shows that the Transcend card must be good as they don't have them in stock at the moment - plenty of Sandisk Extreme Pro though. Tells its own story, or perhaps just a coincidence.

Thanks again.
      http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is what I'm currently using http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=102253 but the 2gb version. It says that it transfers at 2mb per second! Ha ha, no wonder it's freezing up on me! The transcend that Mike has suggested is about 20mb per second so that would be a huge improvement.

With that Transcend card in mind it states "on devices supporting SD 3.0". I have no idea what that means - does my 500d support SD 3.0?

Comment

TBH, if it were me, I'd just spend the £10 for the 8GB card and see what it can do once I put it in the camera! If you're happy enough, buy some more!

As a reference, Canon state my 550D should get 6 RAW, or 34 JPG. I get 6 RAW, so that figure looks OK to me, I don't shoot JPG so I can't confirm that number! For your 500D, Canon state up to 9 RAW, 170 JPG!
          But they have the following disclaimer...
          Large/Fine(Quality 8) resolution
          ² Based on Canon's testing conditions, JPEG, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style. Varies depending on the subject, memory card brand and capacity, image recording quality, ISO speed, drive mode, Picture Style, Custom functions etc.
          ³ Maximum fps and buffer capacity may be reduced depending on the cameras settings and light level

Hope that helps. All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Christian, I was told when I got my Camera (550D) to get at a class 10 memory card for speed. I needed a couple of large storage memory cards and got a real bargain from Amazon 2 x 16GB (Transcend SDHC) for £34 including postage. I would definately have a look there before going to the more expensive photographic web sites.

Joanne
            To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Actually, Joanne's post has reminded me that I did the same as her!

I bought the Transcend cards from Amazon (best price I could find!), but I bought the 7dayshop batteries from 7 dayshop!

Apologies for getting that wrong in an earlier post!

All the best, Mike.
              flickr

Comment

TBH, if it were me, I'd just spend the £10 for the 8GB card and see what it can do once I put it in the camera! If you're happy enough, buy some more!

As a reference, Canon state my 550D should get 6 RAW, or 34 JPG. I get 6 RAW, so that figure looks OK to me, I don't shoot JPG so I can't confirm that number! For your 500D, Canon state up to 9 RAW, 170 JPG!
                But they have the following disclaimer...
                Large/Fine(Quality 8) resolution
                ² Based on Canon's testing conditions, JPEG, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style. Varies depending on the subject, memory card brand and capacity, image recording quality, ISO speed, drive mode, Picture Style, Custom functions etc.
                ³ Maximum fps and buffer capacity may be reduced depending on the cameras settings and light level

Hope that helps. All the best, Mike.
                Thanks Mike, that disclaimer makes me laugh! To be fair 4-6 RAW would be fantastic as I'm getting less panicky and more choosy about the shots I take anyway. I suppose that comes with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mammarazzi View Post
                  Hi Christian, I was told when I got my Camera (550D) to get at a class 10 memory card for speed. I needed a couple of large storage memory cards and got a real bargain from Amazon 2 x 16GB (Transcend SDHC) for £34 including postage. I would definately have a look there before going to the more expensive photographic web sites.

Joanne
                  Hi Joanne

Thank you very much for your advice. You must be happy with your Transcend ones then?

Comment

Actually, Joanne's post has reminded me that I did the same as her!

I bought the Transcend cards from Amazon (best price I could find!), but I bought the 7dayshop batteries from 7 dayshop!

Apologies for getting that wrong in an earlier post!

All the best, Mike.
                    Cheers mate - I am confident that I'm going to get fixed up with the right gear now. Thank you for your help.

Like your Flickr stream by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by birdsbirdsbirds View Post
                      Like your Flickr stream by the way.
                      Thanks for looking... slowly building up a collection of shots I quite like! :smile:
                      flickr

Comment

Resolution:

As per recommendation by Mikep and Joanne, I have ordered the transcend 8gb, class 10. It's going to be a vast improvement - that's for certain!

Thanks to everyone who helped me, I've learned a bit more too.

Christian

Comment

You'll be needed a new backup hard disk drive next :smile: to store all those bursts !!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                            You'll be needed a new backup hard disk drive next :smile: to store all those bursts !!
                            I'll second that! I regularly go out for a day and come back with 2 x 8GB cards full! OK I bin most of them, but it's mounting up! :smile:

Christian - once you've had a play with the new cards, feel free to let us know whether it's what you expected!

All the best, mike.

EDIT - where have all the smiles gone - they're not working!
                            Last edited by mikep; 02-06-2011, 10:47. Reason: No smiles appearing!
                            flickr

Comment

If its any help. (Not sure it will be)

I have a 500D, my panorama shot of the coast was taken by just moving round with my finger on the button. I took eight shots in raw in one continuous burst. Cards a Maxwell SD card 4gb.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                                I'm already getting into trouble for the space I'm using! "These pictures are slowing my MAC!" the lady of the house complains.

Comment

Working...
                                X