Backdrop advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backdrop advice

I would really appreciate for some advice on which Backdrop to buy.......

I will be using it mainly for taking family and friends photo. I do have a backdrop stand but not sure which backdrop to go for i.e: Paper or Cloth and white or black or grey?

Look forward for the advice from the experienced one on this.

Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Re: Backdrop advice

I have a couple of Lastolite backdrops - 1 blue clouds effect reversible and a black and white reversible.
    When they are opened they are practically crease free.
    They collapse into a circle for easy storage (quite a knack in itself)

I prefer cloth but you need to iron out the creases beforehand, especially the white sheet.

I am by no means a portrait snapper so someone else will probably be able to give you better feedback

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
      I have a couple of Lastolite backdrops - 1 blue clouds effect reversible and a black and white reversible.
      When they are opened they are practically crease free.
      They collapse into a circle for easy storage (quite a knack in itself)

Mike
      What size are they Mike?
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

I think the cloud one is 6' x 4'
        and the black/white is 8 x 6

Mike

Comment

Just to give you an idea, heres a link to a similar one to mine
          The black/white one is the larger size with train

Wex Photo Video is the primary destination for enthusiast and professional photographers and filmmakers. Click, call or visit for the UK's widest range of photo and video gear.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike for the link, looks very nice and bit on the expensive side.

Raj
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

I tend to only use black, or white backgrounds. How you use the light againsy them can give you gey, or a graduated grey as well. So I use a lastolite reversible, with a wire frame so that you can fold it down to a circle about a quarter of it's size.

You have to wriggle the thing into a sort of figure of eight and then put it into it's zipped bag. Sometimes I can wriggle it first time and other times it takes 10 minutes or so to get it right. Most frustrating, but that's down to me, not the product.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, I gather these one do not need a stand or do they? Can i use them on the background stand that i already have? Second question- I was told and have seen a video on grey colour and if you use the position of light you can make them into black or white, in this case would it be better to have one colour than Black and white?
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
                  Thanks Colin, I gather these one do not need a stand or do they? Can i use them on the background stand that i already have?
                  Mine came as a kit, with a stand that had two special clips to hold it top and bottom. No reason why you couldn't use it with other stands, using a bit of improvisation.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

We use white muslin this can be stretched and clamped to the background stand and taped to the floor...no creases
                    You could then using photoshop put any background on.or just leave it white

Peter
                    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Thanks Peter, is there any advantage of muslin over the paper?

Raj
                      Raj
                      Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X